Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #111
cdnp
Super Freak

It did take a lot of time to prepare but I am somewhat obsessed with the screenshot quiz.

Here is a complete list of the Games that have pictures with a file extension of the Graphics Interchange Format (gif). I marked off those that download correctly as a .gif
List

One other thing that I noticed while checking through the screenshots. There are a few games whose screenshots names no longer match the game's names.
For example; The screenshots of Bust-A-Move are named Puzzle Bobble and the screenshots of Black Monday are named Stock Market - The Game.
There are others that have only a part of the game's name like the screenshots of (Games - Winter Challenge, The) are named just Winter Challenge and the screensots of Denarius Avaricius Sextus are named just Avaricius. I hope that they wont cause problems with the daily screenshot quiz.

Last edited by cdnp; 15-09-2011 at 11:19 PM.
cdnp is offline                         Send a private message to cdnp
Old 16-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #112
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Checked Back to the Future and 5th fleet. Well, it's really png. Why it named "gif"?.. But non-consistent names, I think, means more...

Dave, is there way for you to check game dirs directly, not through "common" interface? It could be much faster, I think...
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 16-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #113
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockp View Post
It did take a lot of time to prepare but I am somewhat obsessed with the screenshot quiz.

One other thing that I noticed while checking through the screenshots. There are a few games whose screenshots names no longer match the game's names.
For example; The screenshots of Bust-A-Move are named Puzzle Bobble and the screenshots of Black Monday are named Stock Market - The Game.
There are others that have only a part of the game's name like the screenshots of (Games - Winter Challenge, The) are named just Winter Challenge and the screensots of Denarius Avaricius Sextus are named just Avaricius. I hope that they wont cause problems with the daily screenshot quiz.
Thanks for the list, I'll start ASAP, but please don't be obsessed by the quiz, it's a game after all.

The discrepancy of names can cause problems and glitches, the source of the problem is that a title was modified but the page wasn't updated accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Checked Back to the Future and 5th fleet. Well, it's really png. Why it named "gif"?.. But non-consistent names, I think, means more...

Dave, is there way for you to check game dirs directly, not through "common" interface? It could be much faster, I think...
I don't think it's such a serious problem, I guess it's the result of multiple edits, substitutions and maybe systems modifications performed by technicians during these years. And no, I can't access the folders where screenshots are stored. We must use the interface to delete/modify them.
I can solve it easily, just need the time and your patience

I'll keep you updated, here you can see my progress:

List of Progress
Old 16-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #114
cdnp
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The discrepancy of names can cause problems and glitches, the source of the problem is that a title was modified but the page wasn't updated accordingly.
After you finish modifying the screenshots from this list would you like another list of the games which have a discrepancy of names.

Also I see that the new 5th fleet screenshot has the name including the added ", The" (like the current name of the game on Abandonia) but the other screenshots are just named 5th fleet without the ", The" and there are many other games on Abandonia that have similar minor discrepancies. Does that affect the quiz?
Old 16-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #115
Dave

It could affect the quiz, yes please, once done with the first replacement I will look into that secondary problem.

But can you explain me why you need 3 accounts to post here?
I understand one could be for testing the quiz but aren't we exaggerating a bit?

Edit:
[The accounts will be merged]

From now on I'll leave normal .gifs screenshots as they are, the system recognize .gif as a correct format and it's pointless to substitute them with pngs.

I'll just substitute the .gif.png files which are the real source of glitches.
Old 17-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #116
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'll just substitute the .gif.png files which are the real source of glitches.
Err... Dave, I think, it's correct .png, that named .gif for some reason. I.e. it's "asdf.gif", but actually it is "asdf.png" inside. Not .gif.png. This extension appears only if you'll try to save it in browser that already recognized "true" format. So you need only to rename file back to .png, not substitute it.

Of course, if it's was exactly what you means, I am utterly sorry.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 18-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #117
Dave

Sure I meant that, I'm just reuploading them removing the .gif part to be sure.
It is working as far as I know, I've verified every node I edited
Old 19-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #118
cdnp
Super Freak

Hello again.

Here is an enormous list of screenshots that don't match the game's name exactly. Most of them will not effect the quiz at all like today's screenshot which has added to its name the words "For Windows" even though it doesn't appear in the Game's name but the quiz worked just fine.
225 games

In my next post I will subdivide that list into similar differences like the addition of ", The" at the end, the change from Arabic numerals to Roman numerals, the addition of a subtitle, etc.

However the following list which is not included in the previous list may affect the screenshot quiz. I have noticed that many of the games on site are missing the appropriate apostrophe, I am guessing that they were removed to avoid problems with the quiz. If so the following games still have the apostrophe or the screenshots are still encoded with a colon.

Boppin' = still has the apostrophe.
Chip's Challenge = still has the apostrophe.
Corridor 7: Alien Invasion = still has the colon encoded in the screenshots.
Dragon's Lair - Escape from Singe's Castle = still has the apostrophe.
Fool's Errand, The = still has the apostrophe.
King Arthurs K.O.R.T. Deluxe - the screenshots still have the apostrophe.
L'Empereur = still has the diacritic.
Maker's Matchup = still has the apostrophe.
Mario's Game Gallery = still has the apostrophe.
Montezuma's Return = still has the apostrophe.
Motocross (aka Suzuki's RM250 Motocross) = still has the apostrophe.
Nobunaga's Ambition = still has the apostrophe.
Nobunaga's Ambition II = still has the apostrophe.
Pharaoh's Tomb = still has the apostrophe.
Quarky & Quaysoo's Turbo Science = still has the apostrophe
Radix: Beyond the Void = still has the colon encoded in the screenshots.
Scooter's Magic Castle = still has the apostrophe.
Snoopy's Game Club = still has the apostrophe.
SpellCraft - Aspects of Valor = still has the colon encoded in the screenshots.
Starflight 2 - Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula = still has the colon encoded in the screenshots.
Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar = still has the colon encoded in the screenshots.
Visions of Aftermath - The Boomtown = still has the colon encoded in the screenshots.
Wing Commander II - Vengeance of the Kilrathi = still has the colon encoded in the screenshots.

I hope that this is helpful.

Last edited by cdnp; 19-09-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 19-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #119
cdnp
Super Freak

O.K.
Here are the lists subdivided by category
Missing the added ", The"
The "The" has been shifted
The Game's name has a subtitle added at the end
The screenshots are named only for the game's subtitle
The screenshots have an extra space in the name
The screenshots have words added at the end
A switch from Roman numerals to Arabic numerals
The screenshots have numerals
All the rest that I don't have the patience to sort anymore today

Please let me know if you would like me to sort the rest of them too.
Old 19-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #120
Dave

Thank you for your huge work cdnp! It's enough for the moment.

I'll focus my time on the ".gif issue", after that I'll go ahead with translations update (other source of glitches) and then I'll check if the screenshots that have a different name are a real source of problems.

However another good method which gave good result is keeping an eye on the daily quiz and report me problems, we found and solved many errors during this year