Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #221
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gamer View Post
maybe it's my nostalgia talking, but this game deserves a higher user rating! I loved this game when it came out and still do.
The best thing to do right off is to go to Earth and do what the starbase commander suggests.
Also, get the Urquan Masters port and all the extras for it! You won't run into so many technical problems. This is one of the few old games I come back to time and again to play, it's just awesome! So be sure to send your petition to get the original creators to make a sequal, thanks!
Sadly enough, most games on Abandonia get a 3.x rating despite being brilliant. Personally, this is definitely a 5/5 game as it's a perfect example of how the early 90s inspired original yet deep games.

I do prefer the original DOS version because it's just more nostalgic.

There was a sequel to this game though: Star Control 3. Released some 12 years ago I believe. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't on par with SC2's brilliance. The humour wasn't as good, the brilliant MOD music of SC2 was replaced with more generic music, the story was poor (especially what they did to the legendary Precursors :mad: ) and the slightly tilted melee combat view made combat more frustrating and less fun.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 20-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #222
displaced colon
Lurker

Now I'm not sure if people condone this... but does that old lander 'bug' work on this downloadable version?
displaced colon is offline                         Send a private message to displaced colon
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #223
twitchcoe

Default Great Game

I noticed a lack of posts in this forum. But for anyone interested, if you have the Ur-Quan Masters version, if you haven't found these already, there is a nice collection of fan made mods.

http://www.star-control.com/fan/mods.php

There are some that rebalance the game, remove/extend the time limit, and one that makes it way more challenging. I don't know if you can use them all at once or not, but I have several different copies set up with the different mods. Totally new experience for a few different playthroughs once you beat the original
twitchcoe is offline                         Send a private message to twitchcoe
Old 13-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #224
Geenimetsuri
Cool Best. Game. Ever.

Well, Betrayal at Krondor being the 2nd contestant...

We still have beer & pretzels Super Melee battles with friends.

The grand adventure with all the background and various tidbits is simply amazing as well.

Old 26-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #225
ferd
Default no coordinates of the star at the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Henrik View Post
You have to type in the name of the star.

Just search for the location in the manual, like 13342 : 3431 or something like that :P and then type in the name of the star that shows up with those directions.

BUT do not type in the first word (ETA, ALPHA, BETA and so on) as these are not the name of the star, but the name of the system.

Happy gaming.
forgive my dumb question...
when i start the game, in the first image there is a star, but there are no coordinates...so i can't search the star name in the manual
please, can you help me?
thanks!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #226
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchcoe View Post
I noticed a lack of posts in this forum. But for anyone interested, if you have the Ur-Quan Masters version, if you haven't found these already, there is a nice collection of fan made mods.

http://www.star-control.com/fan/mods.php

There are some that rebalance the game, remove/extend the time limit, and one that makes it way more challenging.
I'm not finding any mod that removes the time limit. One extends it by 100 years, but do you know of a mod that actually removes it?
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 21-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #227
Grof
Default jSRPOz

Last time I played this game, must have been 15 years ago, but I think I will never forget

"Must break target into component compounds"

Such an awesome, awesome game.

Old 19-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #228
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Sold on GOG now.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 28-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #229
jdogbrunner

Default Edited Ships

Reading these posts reminded me of something I did in college years ago. I've spent years and years playing this game and I still love it. As an amateur computer programmer, I like to tinker with files just for fun. Using a Hex editor, I've located some of the key spots where data for the Starcon ships are and I've been able to modify them. Included in these files is a ship called Zardz. It's basically a Pkunk, but instead of doing one point of damage per shot, it does 6 and has an instantaneous energy recharge rate. I've beaten the Su-matra, the most difficult ship in the game, in about 20 secs. with 1 Zardz ship. Download them and place them in your Starcontrol 2 directory. They don't overwrite any of the existing ships, they just become new ships you can choose when you play SuperMelee. They appear just like the other ships do-they look exactly the same, but have awesome attributes.

You can download them here: http://www.filedropper.com/superships

PS. If you want to use these ships in the role-playing game, you have to copy the modified ship file over the original ship file--Make a backup of the original first!!!
jdogbrunner is offline                         Send a private message to jdogbrunner
Old 19-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #230
legolas558

didn't read the whole thread, but what about the music: I am playing it now and it's awesome! perfect setting and electro style!

@jdogbrunner: can you attach the file here (in 7z or rar format)? that URL didn't work
legolas558 is offline                         Send a private message to legolas558