Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

You've probabbly done what I've done yesterday. that guy probably just doesn't know how to correctly unarchive the files.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 24-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #32
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

You have copied the PARATIME.INF to the first level of the directory structure. ay2516 has a directory for all his games. So he extracts the archive into a new directory there. He could even have a reason to do so: not wanting to have files - like the PARATIME.INF - in his games directory. Then he (auto-)mounts his games directory and changes to the PARATIME directory (two levels lower) to execute the START.BAT. The PARADOX.EXE in the TEMPPARA directory looks for the PARATIME.INF at C:\ which is his games directory, but the file is one/two directories lower.

I have changed the PARADOX.EXE so that it looks for the PARATIME.INF one directory higher from its own directory. Now it doesn't matter how high you mount, the PARATIME.INF will always be found from a lower level than it is.

Please excuse the elaborate explanation. I wanted to make it understandable for all readers (what it probably isn't ). Your efforts with the archive are appreciated. There is just a more universal solution.
Old 24-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #33
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
You have copied the PARATIME.INF to the first level of the directory structure. ay2516 has a directory for all his games. So he extracts the archive into a new directory there. He could even have a reason to do so: not wanting to have files - like the PARATIME.INF - in his games directory. Then he (auto-)mounts his games directory and changes to the PARATIME directory (two levels lower) to execute the START.BAT. The PARADOX.EXE in the TEMPPARA directory looks for the PARATIME.INF at C:\ which is his games directory, but the file is one/two directories lower.

I have changed the PARADOX.EXE so that it looks for the PARATIME.INF one directory higher from its own directory. Now it doesn't matter how high you mount, the PARATIME.INF will always be found from a lower level than it is.

Please excuse the elaborate explanation. I wanted to make it understandable for all readers (what it probably isn't ). Your efforts with the archive are appreciated. There is just a more universal solution.
Ah ok. I should've thought of changing the line in the inf file.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 26-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #34
Redface5x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Don't try to install it. It's already pre-installed. Try making a shortcut for DosBox on your desktop. Now unzip the game, and drag START onto the DosBox icon.
That's a different approach than I'm used to, but it actually worked for me too.:thumbs:

Thanks Frodo.
Redface5x is offline                         Send a private message to Redface5x
Old 20-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #35
Cassima77

For those asking for a step by step on how to start the game:

I'm not sure about those that have XP, but on Vista, it automatically creates a subfolder of the game called "Paratime" within whatever folder you tell it to extract the files to. For example, even though I told my comp to extract the files to C:\Games\ParaTime, the game is really located at C:\Games\ParaTime\Paratime. So, when you run DOSBox, change the cycles from "auto" to "10000" in the configuration file (if you have .73 version, create a config file by typing "Z:\>config -writeconf dosbox.conf", and "Z:\exit", right-clicking on DOSBox icon and selecting "file location", editing the config file with word, file save, file exit.) and type this to get it to start:

mount c c:\games\paratime
c:
cd paratime
PARATIME>start

Then, select 1 for English, and then 1 for Soundblaster.

The game's batch file is called "paradox," yet for some inexplicable reason, DOSBox freezes when I type this in. But, it will start every time if you simply type "start" and select the options again each time you want to play. A bit of an annoyance, but the game runs fine after that.

For those who don't have Vista, typing this into DOSBox may work:

mount c c:\games\paratime
c:
PARATIME>start

Last edited by Cassima77; 20-12-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Cassima77 is offline                         Send a private message to Cassima77
Old 20-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #36
Cassima77

Now, my question:

How the hell do I get the sound running?? I see no way to access sound options within the game itself. Does anyone know how to do this, or is it something I'll have to change within DOSBox instead?
Cassima77 is offline                         Send a private message to Cassima77
Old 20-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #37
sylandro

Question Another problem

Hi all,

I use the D-Fend Reloaded frontend to configure all my DOS games, and so far I've managed to get them all running properly. However, I seem to have a problem configuring this game.

When I run START.BAT it runs okay until the game starts (asks for language and music, shows the logo, shows the intro), and then I get a black screen when I'm supposed to be playing. The music plays so I have no idea what's going on. I have the directory properly mounted (as C:\PARATIME), by the way.

If I drag and drop START.BAT into DOSBOX.EXE it works properly. To rule out it wasn't a configuration file, I tried changing my graphics, core and memory settings to the DOSBOX default, but no luck.

I can't solve this one out. Can someone help me out?
sylandro is offline                         Send a private message to sylandro
Old 20-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #38
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylandro View Post
If I drag and drop START.BAT into DOSBOX.EXE it works properly.
Sooooooo ..... don't use D-FendR for this game, where is the problem?

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 21-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #39
sylandro

Nevermind... I found the problem: DFR was automatically putting configuring DOSBOX to run in secure mode and some lines on start.bat wouldn't work.

Last edited by sylandro; 21-12-2009 at 04:41 AM.
sylandro is offline                         Send a private message to sylandro
Old 26-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #40
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Broken Link

I tried to d/l the game, but was taken to a page with the error message that the link was probably broken.
Could someone please fix the link or reupload?
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree