Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #81
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I've read Montgomery, but only Anne of Green Gables and I wasn't a fan because it was obviously catered for children, I see how kids could enjoy it, but honestly I was a bit too old for it. I haven't read anything beyond that though, and apparently the later books continue on in age so they might be more suitable reading.

As for Le Guin, I appreciate the fact that she doesn't riddle her work with sci-fi tropes and a liberal application of predictable plots, but after reading a lot of her short stories and one or two of her books I didn't consider her to have the lasting ability or talent of someone like Philip K. **** or Ellison, **** for his ability to write indepth characters and manipulate a plot like no one else, and Ellison for his pure writing ability and manipulation of words.

Virginia Woolf is difficult to read and understand initially, she's a writer much like Faulkner or Joyce that requires acclimation, her stuff really isn't pick up and read, but unlike a lot of readers will recommend, it's not necessary really take her books along slowly because they carry themselves with the way the story is told. Reading Ulysses isn't really reading Ulysses if your first time through you're stopping to check annotations every three seconds for example.

EDIT: What a stupid filter.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 06-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #82
The_Lemming
The King of the Lemmings

I have recently read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. Twas a thought-provoking book.

"When Microsoft starts making software for Linux, it means I've won."
--Linus Torvalds
The_Lemming is offline                         Send a private message to The_Lemming