Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #111
Dwalin

I need help again. I just deciphered the two hieroglyphic messages in Olympia Myklos’ office, but I don’t understand if I need to use the translations right now or only during the questioning at the end of the game? When I tried to tell the message to one of the suspects wandering in the museum , I could write in the notebook only the beginning of the first sentence of the first message ( “I pay homage to thee…”) and after that the computer refused to write further – the sentence was too long. When I tried to click on the sentence with the mouse, it just became one letter shorter, and when I just pressed exit, after having written the sentence, the character I was speaking to didn't reply. So is the impossibility to tell this the message to the other characters a bug or is it all right that way? I am asking that only because I read that, if a player doesn't do something important during the game, he won't be able to complete the investigation and will have to replay all the game from the start. And I don't want to look into the walkthrough yet, because I might casually read some spoiler, while seeking for the answer to this particular question.

Last edited by Dwalin; 10-06-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Dwalin is offline                         Send a private message to Dwalin
Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #112
Capo
Unconventional member

The messages in the office arent fundamentel,you can finish the game without translating these messages.
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #113
Dwalin

I just finished the game and have a question about the plot:

SPOILER

What was the point of killing Pippin Carter? All the others were eliminated, because they were accomplices of the murderer in the theft of the dagger and had to be silenced (except Yvette Delacroix, who was killed for jealousy ). But why kill Carter, who was not one of the gang and, as it seems, knew nothing? Or, if he did find out who the thieves were, why didn't he tell anything at the party? Maybe I missed something in the game?
Dwalin is offline                         Send a private message to Dwalin
Old 05-06-2008, 04:34 AM   #114
satsubatsu347

Default CDs are good

I got hooked on this game over a decade ago and absolutely became enchanted by the speakeasy scene... But the download available here is the lean version. Anyone know where I can get the meaty CD version?
satsubatsu347 is offline                         Send a private message to satsubatsu347
Old 30-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #115
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Wink Laura Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Hi Arete.......Haven't played this game for a while but I do remember the bit you are asking about and I had that problem too so I went back and checked everything I had done before. If you have missed something like an item or speaking to someone etc...(sorry to be so vague) then you will find yourself wandering around the museum forever...I loved this game and had no technical problems at all...sorry I can't be of more help....SAL
Just had another thought..as you talk to people take a note of how many you talk to and look at everything . Try to pick up everything. I don't want to spoil anything for you but need to be sure that you have talked to everyone and picked up what you need to....SAL

I can haz a hint? I think I've got everything, and I've spoken to everyone I can think of. I even went into the back room, but was kicked out by the security guard for "szpooking zer mastodons". Hur hur. I checked two walkthroughs, and they didn't mention anything I didn't do.
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #116
MandrakeMousse

I'm having the same problem with this game on DosBox that I had when I played the original floppy version back in the day. There's a bug that happens during a specific scene involving Yvette Delacroix and Steve Dorian.

SPOILERS just in case...

Shortly after you find the body of Ernie Leach and the dagger of Amon Ra, you encounter Yvette Delacroix crying in her office about how much she loved Ernie. Laura Bow eventually excuses herself to let Yvette grieve in peace, and leaves the office. At this point you're supposed to encounter Steve Dorian outside in the hallway (I must have played this game a LOT as a kid to remember this!). However the bug that happens is Laura leaves the office and is out in the hallway with the Thinker statue, and there's no Steve Dorian there, and the game permanently freezes. I've reloaded time and again but I keep getting stuck in this spot and I can't for the life of me remember what we did originally to get past this glitch because I remember the glitch well, but I also know that I was able to play the game all the way through several times.

Does any one know of this specific glitch and a patch that fixes it? I love this game and I'm bummed that I can't get past that spot.
MandrakeMousse is offline                         Send a private message to MandrakeMousse
Old 09-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #117
Capo
Unconventional member

I've played the game 2 times and i havent seen the bug you're talking about,anyway, for the third times,this is the only patch we have found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
This is the only patch and i dont think it can resolve your problem

Originally Posted by Capo
I have found a little patch that should resolve two bugs:
- Endless driving
- Moving painting to reveal safe

Here: http://www.geocities.com/belzorash/
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 26-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #118
MandrakeMousse

I just decided to start the game over from the beginning and I followed a walkthrough until I got to the part where the game usually froze, this time I didn't have the problem, very strange. It must only occur when you do things in a particular order or haven't done certain things before the exchange with Yvette Delacroix happens. I wish I knew exactly what caused the glitch.

Still a great game though, it's a shame they never made a Laura Bow III.
MandrakeMousse is offline                         Send a private message to MandrakeMousse
Old 29-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #119
Sal
Game Wizzard

Arete...have you done the moonlight walk with Steve? Then come back to
the museum and continue inv estigating...Sal
Sal is offline                         Send a private message to Sal
Old 15-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #120
QFGfan

:confused: um...HI! newbie. um...I seem to be stuck in Act V. I used to play this...way back when, but I can't seem to do the sarcophagus thing.
Mr. X chases you from the Mastodon Room to Pterodactyl Room (close door use wire) to Armor Room (close door and bar) to Storage Room (move chair move transom) to Ancient Egypt Room (go left) to continuation of Ancient Egypt Room (enter sarcophagus).
Mr. X is supposed to come in on the right side, pause slightly, turn around, screen cut to him breaking open the Storage Room door, screen cut back to Laura, Laura runs to hole in door (from what I remember).
When I enter the sarcophagus, Mr. X doesn't appear, I walk out and then he shows up, bonks me on the head and well...obviously dead I need to restore. Anybody had this happen or does my timing just suck?
Also, I have everything that Capo mentioned (on Page 10 of this thread) that I'm supposed to have to start Act V. Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong/out of order?
Thank you in advance to everyone who can help me! ^.^
QFGfan is offline                         Send a private message to QFGfan