Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #411
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Anym @ Apr 20 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]287761[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I really enjoy Master of Magic, but something has always bothered me: Is there a limitation that towns can always only produce twelve different troop types or is a way around that limit? Am I missing something?[/b]
I'm pretty sure you're not missing anything. I hadn't notice anything whatsoever.

Well coding linked lists in C is a pain in the behind so you could go for a simple array plus the memory usage wouldn't ever go over the roof. The case is, I guess, that olde games were rather limited on available resources, especially low memory. Gotta love playing the perfect game in Colonization, being too badass to declare independence and end the game, conquering instead the whole map for his Royal Highness who steals 75 per cent of your income, being convinced that you'll never get tired of playing until you take every tile of the map... Until you learn that you can't create the next unit because you're out of low memory, then you quit playing for good.
Old 21-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #412
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Anym @ Apr 20 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]287761[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I really enjoy Master of Magic, but something has always bothered me: Is there a limitation that towns can always only produce twelve different troop types or is a way around that limit? Am I missing something?
[/b]
Never noticed that limitation, but in that case I would suggest you build your least advanced unit in a neighbouring city, and leave your main "military production city" to build the advanced ones for which you need the whole range of expensive buildings.
Old 28-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #413
Symbolic

Just a quick note after reading the review and don't know if it's already been mentioned in this thread or not. Played this game since it came out and still pick it up about every other year for another go, but there is definitely a game (or two) that could essentially be called its sequel: Age of Wonders and AoWII. Every inch of those games screams MoM and not just in a "wow, this game totally stole everything from Master of Magic" sort of way, but rather a "Holy hell, they've made an awesome, modernized version of MoM and managed to add what few elements I ever would have thought to append or change from the original, and do it without sacrificing the spirit of it all!" At least I think so.

-Paul

Old 03-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #414

Hey guys, quick question about using mineral ore to improve weapons. I've built a city within 2 squares of some adamantine ore and was expecting to see the units build in that city suddenly have +2 attack from the adamantine, but I see no difference whatsoever -- what am I doing wrong? The adamantine shows up in the clear, not-grayed-out portion of the cities farmed tiles, and it's only 2 tiles away so it *is* one of the tiles in the city. Shouldn't I therefore get adamantine weapons on units I build in that city? Or do I have to make a road to the adamantine or something, a la civ? (That would be difficult as the only races I've thus far got access to are Trolls and Dark Elves, neither of which can make engineers =/.) Help please! ^^

Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 AM   #415

Ah ... the manual helped me out. Apparently ... one needs an alchemist guild in one's city before one gets the benefits from Adamantium -- super! Now there's just the fact that I'm freaking TROLL and can't make freaking alchemist guilds to worry about! whoopie? So I'm left with having made a troll city near the only source of adamantium in sight and not being able to make any other city near it (it's on the coast). So even if I *wanted* to make a dark elf settler and send it over to the adamantium, I couldn't. What am I to do, then? Is there any way to disband a city already made?

Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #416

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 3 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]292745[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Ah ... the manual helped me out. Apparently ... one needs an alchemist guild in one's city before one gets the benefits from Adamantium -- super! Now there's just the fact that I'm freaking TROLL and can't make freaking alchemist guilds to worry about! whoopie? So I'm left with having made a troll city near the only source of adamantium in sight and not being able to make any other city near it (it's on the coast). So even if I *wanted* to make a dark elf settler and send it over to the adamantium, I couldn't. What am I to do, then? Is there any way to disband a city already made?
[/b]
yes there is, but it takes a while. You have to create settlers until the last habitant leaves.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #417
Scatty
Treasure hunter

That's not entirely correct. You can never lower a city's population below 1 figure, no matter how many settlers you produce. So once you built a city in Master of Magic, it will stay there unless an enemy runs over it and decides to destroy it, which computer players never do, but neutral raiders do if the population is really low.
Another way would be to hex-edit your savegame and set the city's race to another one, this list should help you in that - Link.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 22-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #418
Jorge

The manual link on replacementdocs didn't seem to work. Any idea where I can get a copy?

-Jorge

Old 22-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #419
Japo
Autonomous human

You could try later at a time with less trafic, replacementdocs lacks bandwidth but for me sometimes it doesn't work sometimes it works.
Old 23-06-2007, 02:32 AM   #420
danhanegan

Quote:
Apparently ... one needs an alchemist guild in one's city before one gets the benefits from Adamantium -- super! Now there's just the fact that I'm freaking TROLL and can't make freaking alchemist guilds to worry about! whoopie?[/b]
Your trolls can have adamantium weopons if you use a spell pick to get the alchemy retort when you cutomize your wizard. With this retort, all units are built as though an alchemist's guild is present, wether the city can actually build one or not.
danhanegan is offline                         Send a private message to danhanegan