Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
Tito
Alley Cat

Hmm, this thread his growing quickly. Thanks for sharing your comments guys k:

Quinto, I think that "The Confessions" must be an interesting book to read even if you are not into christianism. If I am not mistaken, Saint Augustine's philosophy is a basic pillar of european knowledge during the Middle-Ages, so it is worth knowing some of his works (I'm not into christian religion, but I studied in a school called "Saint Augustine", by the way).

About "Hearth of Darkness", I have to agree with you and Lulu_Jane. Brilliant book, and brilliant film also. I've read some other Conrad's books, but they weren't so rich and deep.

I'm eager to read "War and Peace", as I've enjoyed almost every novel by a russian writer until now, but I'll have to wait a while (maybe summer). The edition I have in my house is too heavy to carry to the subway.

EDIT: Could you say who is the author of the books you name, please (as long as they are not anonymus, that is)? If not, the translation thing sometimes makes it difficult to identify them.
Old 13-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #12
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, it seems us though us Abandonians are a very cultured bunch... or we are all lying

Anyways, today I just started reading The 120 Days Of Soddom by (who else?) The Maquis De Sade... so far I'm not offended...
Old 13-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm currently reading All for Love, which is NOT what it sounds like but in fact a seventeenth-century rewriting of Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra by John Dryden (and frankly, so far it sucks, like most things by Dryden...).
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 13-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #14
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Feb 12 2007, 11:33 PM) [snapback]278993[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I'm eager to read "War and Peace", as I've enjoyed almost every novel by a russian writer until now, but I'll have to wait a while (maybe summer). The edition I have in my house is too heavy to carry to the subway.

[/b]
You could buy one of the special versions which cuts the book up into 4 books (the book itself is divided into 4 books). That would make it easier to carry around, but - as it is probably a bit on the expensive side - not the kind of thingyou want to carry around with you. You never know when the Rare Book Thief will strike.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lulu_Jane @ Feb 13 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]279027[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Anyways, today I just started reading The 120 Days Of Soddom by (who else?) The Maquis De Sade... so far I'm not offended... [/b]
I've always felt quite naughty when I picked that book up in the library. Supposedly the first few parts are alright. But after that the entire novel falls to bits. De Sade was afraid they were going to execute him, so a large part of the book is written in note-form to himself. Thus you end up with a list of perverted activities which tend to get quite boring.
Old 13-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

"Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett.

And now finishing "Thud!", also by Pratchett.

I love the way he blends good story with lethal dose of humour.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-02-2007, 05:43 AM   #16
STFM
Abandonia nerd

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
what an effort!
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 14-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #17
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ooooh, I really enjoyed that book STFM! It kind of felt like a light dickensian fairy-tale. It was hands down the best book that I've ever bought at an airport whilst waiting for my flight ever

(airport bookshops are black holes of nothingness)
Old 14-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #18
Tervez
Never Compromise

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's "Sourcery". Pretty good so far. I really like his style of writing.

By the way, could someone tell the books in which Death plays a bigger role? I've read Reaper man, Soul music, Hogfather and Mort.
Tervez is offline                         Send a private message to Tervez
Old 14-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Unfortunately, that's pretty much it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #20
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I seem to recall Death playing a rather large side-role in "Thief of Time", but I'm not entirely sure (it's been quite some time since I read the book, or any Pratchett book for that matter).