Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Nov 21 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]267864[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
End of story.
This is a Dictatorship, pure and simple.
[/b]
OK. Clear as day. Power, force... :bleh:

And why bluff us !? Every admin can open poll in the same topic. There is no need to open new one

*edit*
Before you said "End of story" have you consult Kosta !?
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 20-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
JoM
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to JoM

I've found that a good forum is based upon a meritocratic system. That is to say that the people who perfom actions that warrant merit, receive the merit whether it be extra privileges such as moderation or simply respect.

Admins should be chosen on their technical ability to manage the forum and add new features wherever necessary for the forum. This system ensures that the best people for the jobs, get the jobs and people are more likely to respect a competant person in a position than someone who was just put there because they're someone else's friend.
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you
JoM is offline                         Send a private message to JoM
Old 20-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JoM @ Nov 21 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]267868[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I've found that a good forum is based upon a meritocratic system. That is to say that the people who perfom actions that warrant merit, receive the merit whether it be extra privileges such as moderation or simply respect.

Admins should be chosen on their technical ability to manage the forum and add new features wherever necessary for the forum. This system ensures that the best people for the jobs, get the jobs and people are more likely to respect a competant person in a position than someone who was just put there because they're someone else's friend.
[/b]
Excellent point. We have six administrators. And in my opinion only two of them are competent. If nothing will be changed in the future, that will be disastrous for Abandonia :blink:
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 20-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #14
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, all the administrators were appointed by me and were people who I have my full trust in. Of course, just because someone is a good friend of mine, or has been an exemplary member, doesn't mean that person makes a good admin. At the moment I see no needs for changes, but if you feel that certain admins are repeatedly doing a bad job, point those mistakes out to us, saying what was done wrong, and we will discuss each of those between each other. I'm sure that any of our admins would resign themselves if they thought they were doing a bad job. Of course, if you have any things to point out, do it privately by sending PMs to all the admins.

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 20-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
JoM
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to JoM

Just to make it clear - I wasn't talking about this forum specifically as having only encountered the current forum team over the past 2 days I can hardly pass judgement.
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you
JoM is offline                         Send a private message to JoM
Old 21-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #16
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Excuse me ladies and gentlemen,

Man: Well I object to your...you automatically treat me like an inferior!
Arthur: Well I *am* king...
Man: Oh, king, eh, very nice. And 'ow'd you get that, eh?
By exploiting the workers! By 'angin' on to outdated imperialist dogma
which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.
If there's ever going to be any progress,--
Woman: Dennis! There's some lovely filth down 'ere!
(noticing Arthur) Oh! 'Ow'd'ja do?
Arthur: How do you do, good lady. I am Arthur, king of the Britons. Whose
castle is that?
Woman: King of the 'oo?
Arthur: King of the Britons.
Woman: 'Oo are the Britons?
Arthur: Well we all are! We are all Britons! And I am your king.
Woman: I didn't know we 'ad a king! I thought we were autonomous collective.
Man: (mad) You're fooling yourself! We're living in a dictatorship! A
self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
Woman: There you go, bringing class into it again...

I guess that says it all really
Besides, I like the way the forums work here - if I didn't I'd go elsewhere
Old 21-11-2006, 02:29 AM   #17
Japo
Autonomous human

First, or better secondly, the implementation of this proposal would lead to huge clogging. Plus leaving a rule-breaching topic which attracts controversy open for 24 hours is nearly as good as leaving it open forever. And talking about rules leads us to the second or better yet first point.

I quite agree with the meritocracy argument, but as I understand it, what makes a mod good is that he doesn't act on personal behalf so it doesn't matter if it's him or another good mod. Because, as far as I know, topics are closed only if they've broken some rule, they musn't be closed otherwise. Rules are established, they're objective not subjective, and if somebody doesn't accept them he will be better served elsewhere. It musn't be discussed whether a rule-breaching topic should be closed, otherwise there are no rules. Of course it can be discussed (by PMs better) whether a topic closing was appropriate, that is complying with the rules, as Kosta said, and if it wasn't the topic can be reopened. Just as a good judge is a slave to the laws a good mod is a slave to the rules and just like in a trial you may appeal to higher instances, but always arguing about the rules, not because you've got so may supporters.

EDIT: This belongs to Site Comments/Suggestions, doesn't it? AAAARRGH RULE BREACH!!
:bleh: :bleh: :bleh:
Old 21-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #18
rainwife
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Nov 21 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]267864[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
It would not work. End of story.
[/b]
Quote:
This is a Dictatorship, pure and simple.
[/b]
Hmm, I wonder who the dictator is, because Kosta doesn't seem to be the dictating type <_<
rainwife is offline                         Send a private message to rainwife
Old 21-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #19
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

But how can it be fair to close a topic if it's a matter of something that people have different opinions about? Like how do you define flaming? One admin might have one opinion, another admin another opinion, one mod yet another opinion, and the commoners yet another opinion.

Yesterday I made a post that I didn't see as flaming. Yet an admin thought so. I've asked people, and many of them share my opinion. Who is able to decide what's going on inside of somebody's mind? It might look like flaming, but perhaps if you read closer and stop being narrow-minded and try not to decide in advance, you might notice that it's actually just constructive critisism. Or whatever.

I'm for Romano's idea.
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 21-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #20
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I dont know what to say. I would like to agree with Romano, but im not sure if it's right.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen