Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better HORROR movie?
NOTD (Night of the living dead) 5 16.67%
Alien 25 83.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #61
moogle
Abandonia Homie

And Alien failed to scare the shiz out of me and demonstrate how mankind is being eaten from the inside.
Touche.
LOL, stolw your saying Evad
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 18-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #62
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There you go, Moogle was failed to be scared of the Alien, as Romero failed to scare me with his little human politics.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 18-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #63
JimmyJ
Game Wizzard

LOL, yeah, its like you go to a bar and go like, "Hey pops, how bout' a tall frosty zombie?" Then the 'tender goes "Eh...What the hell??"
JimmyJ is offline                         Send a private message to JimmyJ
Old 18-11-2005, 01:15 AM   #64
Evad
Game freak

I'm sad that there were hurt feelings, as we were having a good debate. I try not to take any of this stuff personal anymore. That doesn't mean that it's not important, but really, lets make this a possitive thing. Arguing is fun, even if you know you're gonna lose in the end.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 18-11-2005, 02:28 AM   #65
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Alien beats the crap out of Night of the living dead. 25 to 5. Those are cold hard facts !

To add my two cents worth to the "what are you scared of" debate, i really think it varies depending on the people. Some are more affraid of fictional monsters (such as zombies and aliens) some of real monsters (such as sick human beings). It really depends on what you call fear when you talk about movies. I'd probably be affraid of, let's say, Hannibal Lecter in real life, but on screen i just feel like slaping his infatuated face. On the other hand, i'm alright with little girls in the real world, but Sadako, in the japanese "Ring" scares the hell out of me. To everyone his own personnal "movie's fears".
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 18-11-2005, 03:44 AM   #66
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Nov 18 2005, 03:28 AM
Alien beats the crap out of Night of the living dead. 25 to 5. Those are cold hard facts !

Ya well, one guy sayed he liked NOTD better but he voted Alien because it had that one guy in it, and a bunch of people voted Alien simply because they haven't seen NOTD, so I don't really consider them "facts" hehe.
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 18-11-2005, 05:20 AM   #67
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Nov 17 2005, 01:50 PM
Evad: It is in NO way "irrelevant" how well a movie was done for the time it was made in and how it was perceived when it first came out. Otherwise anyone should just be going for the "newest and hottest sh*t" and forget about everything before. And by that logic, "Alien Resurection" would be a better movie than "Alien" because it looks better, is faster paced etc. But I bet you wouldn't agree with this.

Another thing to consider at least about Romero's zombie-movies:
They all incorporate a threat that is far more real and - at least to me - more frightening than any Alien or Zombie. In all of his movies, the zombies are never the real threat. What puts the characters in danger are "human" traits like greed, selfishness, inability to coorparate etc. The zombies on the other hand are just a (supossedly) "dark" mirror-image of mankind... reduced to a primal state, obeying to primal instinct: Hunger. However, it's most of the time not them who get people killed... it's the people themselves, because they mostly are "human" in the most negative sense of the way. That's also why his movies to me are more "desaster movies" than actual horror, because the zombies are just one imaginable threat that could put people in such desperate situations were they turn on each other despite working together would be their only chance.
And THAT to me is even more scary. Because it's true. And because it can be applied to any extreme situation one might happen to endure some time.
I second and agree with that.

*edit*
And give the kids a break. I remember seeing Jurrassic Park in the theaters and thinking it was a GREAT movie. It had it all, special effects, monsters, pacing. Saw it a couple of years ago and realized that was all it had, monsters and special effects :not_ok:
Opinions will change in time.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 18-11-2005, 11:10 AM   #68
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

According to Billy Connoly, it makes you drunk from the feet upwards.

Incidentally, what's with the arguing and off-topicness? This, in case you hadn't noticed, is meant to be a thread comparing NOTLD and Aliens (which is itself a pretty daft comparison in my view).
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 18-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #69
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by MdaG@Nov 18 2005, 01:20 AM

And give the kids a break. I remember seeing Jurrassic Park in the theaters and thinking it was a GREAT movie. It had it all, special effects, monsters, pacing. Saw it a couple of years ago and realized that was all it had, monsters and special effects* :not_ok:
Opinions will change in time.
That is one of the most ignorant, moronic, and pointless thing to say, "Give the kids a break, their opinions will change in time".
How you could assume that I don't know what makes a film, how it can be affected by nearly other aspect that could be brought into production, it's so reckless just to throw out such a invalid statement, that we, the younger members of the forum, don't understand the world around us, how things work, and what qualities can be brought into products to make them succesful, well made, and valid in a artistic fashion.
I doubt that you've even seen Alien, and then you post such a horrid statement in a thread comparing NOTD and Alien, two films that're considered technically pathetic in today's terms, only to say that you believe we were washed over by special effects and monsters.
How offensive and blatant can you be? That amounts to saying that everything we say online is INVALID just because we are younger, and therefore, you believe our opinions aren't fully formed, and that we will come to see just like you do, as if the world is one fleshly ball of unified sameness. That is a lie, no matter how you believe it, there are always people out there that are educated, adult, and well thought out, that would talk on a young man's terms in the same voice.

Never show such a idiotic, disregarding, and horrid post every again Mdag, that is severly insulting, and nulls the point of this entire forum for all minors.

P.S. - I am fifteen, not ten, so get it into your head that we aren't all small little children.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 18-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #70
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Nov 18 2005, 02:22 AM
P.S. - How do you know what I'm replying to if I have the power to reply to anything I want? I say "I'm talking about this" and you say "No, you're talking about THIS" like it's some universal law that everything has to be directed by you.
Let's see... how do I know? Because you wrote "To Romero's theory" in front of it?

Quote:
And it's not my opinion, because if his goal was for the audience to feel tense about the human relations, he failed in providing that emotion to me, and therefore failed in his attempts to scare ME.
And therefore it's YOUR opinion and not an objective one, because just it didn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone else as well.

And it's certainly not ME who's "looping in circles", since it's not me who constantly claims not to have said certain things after saying them. I told you already once: if you don't mean it, don't say it. But claiming you didn't say a specific thing when it's a few posts above for everyone to see... Doesn't make you look like the sharpest tool in the shed, not to mention the harm to your credibility.

And wow, you are FIFTEEN!!! You do know, that this means that you are a "perfect specimen" of someone the word "kids" would apply to, do you?
You know, when I was fifteen, I was exactly like you. A snotty brat, thinking that I know it all and better than everyone else and that I CAN'T possibly be wrong because I knew SO much more than everyone else in my class.... :[img]http://www.abandonia.com/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />

But your views and opinions WILL change over the next ten years. Take it from someone who's already been there and done that. In fact, if they wouldn't, that would be something you should be really worried about...
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Closed Thread