Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #41
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Strangely i remembered only now to reccomend you the books written by Ray Bradbury: very well written! They're masterpieces of art IMO!
Old 28-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #42
omg
Games Master

the salmon of doubt by douglas adams. not only is it full of amazing material, but also it is the best insight into the arch hitchikers mind i have come across in book form.
it is actually one of the only books that has bought tears to my eyes a little, as it is such a shame that adams a man with many ideas still to come died and yet noel edmunds who is older than him and far more hated still survives.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 28-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #43
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Redwall series
Wow, that brings back memories. I used to buy one of those a month with my pocket money years ago before I moved onto Discworld paperbacks; my sister's still got them. Salamandastron was the best by quite some way, however irritating those hares were. They are quite possibly the most twee series since Enid Blyton died, and they get very samey towards the end (well, all the way through actually).
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 28-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #44
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

I used to love em.....(redwall) I would read them all the time when I was 5 or 6....now I hate them . The older I get the more I hate books about mice and hares and foxes and rats and so forth. It just sounds too ridiculous to me.

They were very good, though. k:
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 28-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #45
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I agree on Ray Bradbury's books (a bit more artsy then Asimon [did I recomend him to you in this thread already?] or Clarke - but still excelent).

Then there are many other books that would be simply excelent (I'll just go by the authors):
- Karl May (I'm sure you've heard of and maybe even watched the films, but have you read them?)
- Julius Verne (I bet you read most of his work, if there's something you missed out you should go to the library now - and if you read them when you were younger then 12 you should reread them again - they give you a completely new perspective)
- Jose Saramago (his style of writing is something completely else and his books are from historycal right up to the social realism - great stuff)
- Mark Twain (remember his books are social/political satire mostly, so don't simply go for Huckelbery Finn or Tom Sawyer - although those two aren't bad either)
- Jack Karuac (he talks about things that were basicaly the inspiration for the hippie movement, so you're bound to like it )
- John Steinbeck (what can I say - novels at their best)

As I said before: "More will follow..."
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 28-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #46
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
John Steinbeck (what can I say - novels at their best)
even Of Mice And Men? I hated that book at school. Blech.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 28-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #47
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Karl May
I tried it once but can't say I really liked it.

Quote:
Julius Verne
I read them in french a few years ago, there are still a few I haven't read but I'm not in the mood for french literature now.

Quote:
Mark Twain
My dear old granny gave me all his books for my last birthday, I'm ashamed to admit I enjoyed reading his (rather racist) journals more than his stories.

Quote:
Jack Karuac
I had to read "On the Road" for English, I can't say I agree with it but it sure drives a point (just because I don't agree with it, doesn't mean I can't enjoy it... not that I enjoyed it though)

Quote:
John Steinbeck
I'm lukewarm towards Steinbeck, I enjoyed reading "The Winter of our Discontent" but I can't say the same for "East of Eden" and "of Mice and Men"... perhaps it's just me.
Old 28-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #48
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

Steinbeck: "The Pearl" sucked. Had to study it for english.

Asimov (not asimon ): love him. I,Robot is the best book ever written IMO.
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 28-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #49
unclefester
Game freak

Quote:
i just finished "The Heart of Darkness"

its a good book and very poetic.
Its all about Belgium colonialism in the Congo. (and other stuff)
i highly recomend it if you like that sort of book. k:
I tried to read the original english text but I just could not understand it. It was the most difficult text I had and have read!!!

Why don't you try Chinua Achebe's (pronounced Achaba)Things Fall Apart. It is a very good novel on the pre- and post-colonial lifestyle of the lower Niger tribes. Although it sounds hard to read , it is a very
"digestible" book.
unclefester is offline                         Send a private message to unclefester
Old 28-06-2005, 11:48 PM   #50
Sino
Forum hobbit

Well, as odd as this may sound Masters of Doom by David Kushner is a Awesome book, chroncling the adventures of the Two Johns through making Wolf 3D, Doom, and Quake.
Sino is offline                         Send a private message to Sino