Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #21
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try using the DosBox emulator.
You can download it here.

If you have any problems with it, try having a look at the official FAQ on the DosBox site.
Basic Setup and Installation
Command Line
Z instead of C at the command prompt
Internal Programs (important, especially MOUNT)
Most of the stuff in there is not really needed, but you would do best to familiarize yourself with the specific topics I linked to.
The mounting of your DosBox games directory, switching the promt to the emulated C: drive and clearing the screen from previous commands can all be executed from the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf, so you won't have to re-type them every time round.
Frontend programs can help running DosBox with varying configurations for different games.
For both a more accessible user interface and oldschool feel, you can use Norton Commander (get it from our programs and utilities page - scroll down to the bottom to find it). NC might seem awkward at first, but in fact it is a very functional genuine DOS era file manager frontend. It has a plethora of functions that will help you in navigating around the directories, while still retaining the command prompt.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #22
Freddie

Thanks!

Old 17-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #23
matak

i dont know this 1 but populous: the beggining is awsome! Im playing it right now.

Old 15-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #24
Arillane_Kent

I have tried downloading this game three times! Each time, it tells me that I am using an unknown method of compression! (I use winzip) What gives?

Old 16-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #25
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try the newest version of Winzip, and don't use the context menu options to unpack the archive.

This is partially my fault, when I was packing the game I used a less popular subtype of ZIP compression. A repack is coming right up.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #26
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I finally got around to downloading this game - mostly because I just couldn't believe that it was released in '98!?! Wow, I remember thinking that the graphics were so incredible when I was a child.

The best thing is that the game still does look pretty good on my laptop today.

*sigh*

Good times, thanks Abandonia
Old 07-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #27
Morker

A great game... but I cant remember how one could choose one of the world by their names. Believe it or not but I still got my old list of world names and I would love to continue where I stopped 10 years ago... well more 15 year...... Still have to do nr 177 Immandieout .... (think that was the name)
So where can I type in the names of the worlds?

Greetz
Morker

Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #28
RyuRanX

Send a message via AIM to RyuRanX

It was the first strategy game I played. I didn't know there is a PC version, since I played it on my Master System.
RyuRanX is offline                         Send a private message to RyuRanX
Old 15-03-2007, 04:57 AM   #29
pop god

I spent an entire summer playing this game--determined to beat it--which I eventually did. This was easily the most difficult game I have ever beaten. Although you 'merely' had to play a couple hundred of the thousand worlds, the later worlds were nearly impossible to beat.

Now I want to play again but a few of the critical keys do not seem to work??!?!
Computer help build castle "/"
Computer help raise "*"
raise land "+"
lower land "Enter"

I can't get the above to work even with remapping the keys. I suspect the problem is due to the fact the mouse buttons are set up to raise and lower land and so there is a conflict with all land modifying keyboard commands. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 24-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #30

hi guys. the info on the main screen for this game states that you shouldn't run the game with the populous.exe file

so i try and run it from popvga-4.bat by double clicking it but nothing happens. how do i work it?