Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Thanks for the offer Fifth Horseman. The real problem lies in the fact that DOSBox does not seem to capture the screen in 256 color indexed mode. I even attempted to set the machine to vgaonly and even EGA. VGAonly resulted in the same 16 million color mess and EGA was quite a disaster. I did find 512 bytes of the 768 in START.LBM, but if I had the indexes or the correct RGB values instead of searching by process of elimination, it would really help.

The other problem is with the graphics themselves. The MNU files for the "shop" for example. The only two I have to compare are the shareware and German version of World one. It doesn't matter though. The graphics themselves have been modified to show the correct colors for the correct palette, but the real problem is that they switched the indexes! So byte AB in one file = byte ?? in the other file coupled with some really strong evidence of some type of compression, and things start getting more complex.

I think I would be able to work things out though, if I could only find some way to capture the screen without a full 15,999,744 to try and eliminate and then attempt to assign proper indexes to the other 256.

Other than that? I am still in over my head but learning a lot as I go along. I learned not to fix something that isn't broken, for example. I did some more cosmetics on the EXE file just to feel as though I accomplished something and instead made it so the game trapped you underwater where you suffocate and die. Not good!

Back to it!

Last edited by Ohne Mitleid; 26-12-2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Correction: There are supposed to only be 262,144 VGA colors
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid