Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 26-09-2006, 03:51 AM   #1
RemX

Im the guest who wrote just before..sorry about this third one

I was now able to do the ''mount'' thing to Dosbox after reading the official tutorial
i dont know if did work or if i absolutly have to do it..i never really was familiarized with DOS

Anyway..i think that the mount for dosbox is intalled on one of my CD-drive..thing is they dont work :not_ok: i put a CD in it and noting ! they dont even appear on my desktop..anyway not part of the topic

Thanks for a reply

IM the one who asked the questions about the gemfire and uncharted waters 2***
RemX is offline                         Send a private message to RemX
Old 26-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Data
retired

what did you type inside DOSBox and what do you expect to happen ?
Old 26-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Until you post more detailed information about your problem, I can only refer you to this FAQ.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
RemX

mount C C:\DOS\CDrive
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
C:
CLS

thats what i typed ..and well i expected that the running file would not only open a full black screen then back to a smaller one..nothing written on it
Old 26-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
RemX

I'll try to be more precise..i got 3 downloaded games..Gemfire,Uncharted waters 2 and Hexx
I also got those 2 ''progams'' DosBox and i downloaded D-Fend for it..(dont really know where it went though) but i was able to import a file in it..but still cant run it...i also got VDMS and it does pretty much the same thing as i'll say below with the files

I extracted all the files from Gemfire..and thats when i gets complicated i tried opening KOEI.COM all it does : a full black screen comes up then a smaller one then back to normal..nothing else then with the MAIN.EXE file well its not better..full black screen comes upand written on top : File not opened : moushou.dat, thats the name of a file i have extracted along with all the other one

I read a lot of questions and answer here in the forum before writting ..and maybe it would be that i have to configure the settings and the sound i hope not cuz i suck at this and dont really know how

Hope you'll be able to help more or if you want me to be more precise on specific point please tell

Thanks
Old 26-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
mount C C:\DOS\CDrive
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
C:
CLS

thats what i typed ..and well i expected that the running file would not only open a full black screen then back to a smaller one..nothing written on it[/b]
Do you have any idea what each of those lines is for or you just blindly followed the tutorial?
Is your oldgame directory under C:\DOS\CDRIVE (in Windows) ?
Is your optical drive under letter D (in Windows again) ?

If you have problems using DosBox, try doing it this way or try using a frontend program (D-Fend and DosBoxer are recommended by most users).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
RemX

Thanks for the quick answer..dont worry fifth horseman we're getting somewhere im less stupid then i was about all this runnning old games thing

Q 1 :So..yep i tried this drag thing into Dosbox did it with MAIN.EXE file..and its opening to a full black screen and then back to a small black screen and i remarked that once the smaller one open,my tool bar is all wrong : different color and pretty much all the screen itself is all ''fuzzed up''(dont know if i can say that),,Any clues?

Q 2 :And do we absolutly have to change sound setting and reading speed..cuz they say u should but they dont say from where and how

Thanks k:

P.S. BTW yes i pretty much blindly followed the tutorial but now i got a old games file on my C drive and changed the configuration in dosbox for it
Old 26-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Q 1 :So..yep i tried this drag thing into Dosbox did it with MAIN.EXE file..and its opening to a full black screen and then back to a small black screen and i remarked that once the smaller one open,my tool bar is all wrong : different color and pretty much all the screen itself is all ''fuzzed up''(dont know if i can say that),,Any clues?[/b]
Hokay. So as you apparently already got yourself acquainted with dosbox.conf, open it and go to where it says "fullscreen=false" and "fullfixed=false".
Change them to "fullscreen=true" and "fullfixed=true", respectively.

This will make DosBox start up in fullscreen mode, which just MIGHT help with that problem.

Quote:
Q 2 :And do we absolutly have to change sound setting and reading speed..cuz they say u should but they dont say from where and how[/b]
Check other COM/EXE/BAT files in the game directory. One of them should start up the sound configuration. If there is none such, look around for sound options menu in the game.

The values that are default for DosBox (and therefore those you need to enter) are:
Sound Blaster 16
Adress 220h
Interrupt (IRQ) 7
DMA 1

-- Reed Richards
Old 26-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
RemX

Just changed the fullscreen to true(we're getting closer) couldn't find the fullfixed anywhere though ..checked Everywhere! on the page and no..can it have another name? i got fulldouble and the other one is fullresolution just under fullscreen line

Just another proof of my incompetence..where do you change the Dosbox values cuz i think it might a big part of the problem

Thanks
Old 26-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.p...age=dosbox.conf

Fullfixed is about the third setting in DosBox.conf.

-- Reed Richards
Closed Thread