Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Nox

Hi,

I just bought a copy of Command and Conquer from Chips and Bits, but I am having problems installing it. When I run the setup.exe file, I can get as far as the sound card selection (EVA screen) but that's it. The only sound drivers that I can select are the "No digitized sound" and "Sound Blaster". After selecting the IRQ and DMA settings, irregardless of what I enter I always get a "Setup not successful. Did not create the setup file" error message. Under device manager, my soundcard has an IRQ of 18. If I enter this, the setup freezes.

My soundcard: SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS PCMCIA

I am running Windows XP Pro. I'm sorry, I don't have much experience working with older games and programs. I'm sure I've missed something blatantly obvious.

Thanks in advance.
Nox is offline                         Send a private message to Nox
Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

C&C is a DOS game, so try running it with VDMSound or if it fail try running it with DOSBox.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Nox

I understand that I have to run the game with an emulator like DOSBox or VDM, but I can't run the game because I can't install it. It's the installer I'm trying to run. Yes, I realize this is DOS too. I have VDM installed but I don't have any option to run with VDM. In the VDM readme it says:

"Right-click on the DOS game executable that you wish to start (any .exe, .com or .bat), and select the « Run with VDMS » action."

There is no "Run with VDMS" when I right-click the setup file (or any other .exe, .com, .bat for that matter)...

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 AM   #4
Nox

Ok, I got the program installed. Still having a few problems though. If I run the program without VDM the sound stutters like crazy. But if I run the program with VDM I get an error message saying C&C could not locate my CD-ROM drive and then the program closes. Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:57 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm sure you can run C&C with DOSBox because I did it in the past. You'll need a very fast machine for that tough.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Data
retired

vdmsound should have a properties box when you leftclick he executable. One of the options is to enable cdrom supprt
Old 09-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
Nox

Eagle - I tried DOSBox but get the same error message: "Command and Conquer could not locate your CD-ROM drive". This is the config I have DOSBox's cd: mount D D:\ -t -cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

Data - Are you referring to the "Enable low level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)" checkbox? If I check this and run the game, all I get is a black screen.

EDIT:
DOSBox works if you change the CD-ROM mount parameters to: mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0