Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Pyroq

Default Having difficulty getting games to run...

Hey there, I am a bit confused about all this DOS box and getting some of these games to run on my PC. I downloaded DOSbox and to my suprise I had a hard time understanding it, I consider myself computer literate but I guess not with technical stuff. I have downloaded X-Com Unknown Enemy just to find out I need original x-com files?? Don't have any of those and I was wondering was this really the case why it would not work. Also I am having trouble getting Warcraft Orcs and Humans to work.. I click the "WAR" application file and it starts a dos box for a few seconds and then I get an error that says "This system does not support fullscreen mode" and only have the option to close the program. Like I said I downloaded dosbox but have no idea how to run a game through it.. I've been browing the DOSBOX for newbs section but havnt had much luck with that.. Any ideas guys? Please help, thanks.!
Pyroq is offline                         Send a private message to Pyroq
Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Pyroq

Sorry I forgot to mention my system specs.. Im running an Acer aspire desktop PC with windows vista 32 bit. All other games that I have downloaded from Abandonia also give the same error about my sytem not supporting full screen mode.. please help. Stumped here!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Pyroq

I think im talking to myself here, hehe. Anyhow I found the step-by-step intrsuctions and got warcraft to work but I now only have a question, I have the game running but how do i get it to maximize to full screen, I click the maximize button and nothing happens, its still running in a little window, any suggestions?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Important: don't install dosbox in c:\program files or you probably won't be able to write stuff there, use your 'user' folders, install dosbox there, there you (and dosbox) have writing rights, same for your games.
(Or if you have partitions use D: or so ....)

For warcraft, you're lucky: drag&drop works.
Drag&drop FIRST setup.exe on your dosbox shortcut.

Digitized -> SB16/AWE ADR220 IRQ7 DMA1
Next -> Music -> SBPROII/SB16 ADR220 IRQ7 DMA1
Save and exit.
Input war to play.

Next time you want to play:
Drag&drop war.exe on your dosbox shortcut.

Many games however will not work that way, you will have to mount a virtual C: first in dosbox.
Some reading for you:
>A beginner's guide to DosBox<
>wtf IS dos bOX AND DOES IT WORK ON wIN xp?<
Same remark, those are written for XP, in Vista you best use your own user folder to avoid all kinds of problems.(Or again: another partition then C:\ )

[Edit]
You're not talking to yourself, we just aren't 24/24-7 at your personal service friend.

Full screen: ALT+ENTER
Read the dosbox readme.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 10-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Full screen: ALT+ENTER
Or change fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true in DOSBox.conf. Don't forget to change original in fullresolution=original to your actual desktop resolution (eg fullresolution=1024x768).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman