View Single Post
Old 22-03-2023, 07:00 PM   #557
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Pokemon Red with only a Magikarp

Some pro-player said it is impossible, so I looked it up, and actualy isn't. I mean if the mon has enough craft to win the game with just tackle, then it should be even more possible, if you solve magikarp to be able to harm ghost types.
there's 2 method to achieve this goal: import a magicarp from Gen 2, OR have a University Magikarp, what is an event-pokemon.

But how do you get these?
Well, transfering pokemon between emulators seems a hard call, at least harder than using the cheatcodes, so I went with the university pokemon version.

I'm using a VisualBoyAdvance Emulator ver.1.8.0-beta 3, whatever that means. I find it great for the black&white .gb Gen 1 games.
First, let's solve to start with the pokemon we want. The Game Shark version of starter cheat is unstable, so use the Game Genie version. Immediately disable the cheat after the character picked up the ball, definitely after the stats are shown, and absolutely before the Rival picks up his one. Vongratulation, you have a stable, bugless your-choice starter.
The hard part comes now, it took me a while to figure it out, and it'll irrevocable ruin your active save (the last oyu used) if you mess it up.
As Game Genie has no move-code, we have to rely on the Game Shark code. Fortunately the move-swap code works with currently unused slots too, so I've set it as move 2 (magikarp starts with only 1 move: splash).
The code ONLY effects YOUR pokemon, and only the starter, so it's fine. It is also stable, so if you don't mind that the cheat is running actively and you can't turn it off, then you have no other task with this. If you on the other hand WANT ot disable the code, read further.

NOTE: you get the move with 0 PP, meaning you'll have to sleep/get healed before you can actualy use it, so you'll fail the tutorial-fight in the lab (with an unaltered magikarp, you'd fail it anyway, though I miss the money, as Pokemon Red somehow missing a core element: you can't capture MEowth in the game, the money-creating pokemon).

So, find a battle. You'll still be able to run from it, or fight it, don't worry. Select "Fight", then push "Select" (this is a gameboy button, not an ingame label!), and swap the move you added to you pokemon with another move.. In this case, swap Dragon Rage with Splash. NOW DISABLE THE CHEAT, and to be on the safe side, use the skill(s). Finish the battle one way or another, and check your pokemon. If all is fine, you have your moves in the new order. Eevn if you glitched it, the PPs will be in order.
On the other hand if you messed it up, your added move will be doubled, and your other move lost. This can be funny, 40 Dragon Rage on your magikarp IS funny, but c'mon.

This is how you capture a 4% (more like 2%, but whatever) mon in the Safari zone: go to the right sector, and find the mon. Save. Throw a ball on it until it runs away. Reload, and throw a rock at it. If it runs away, reload. If not, save, and try the ball, but don't expect to finish. When it runs away again, reload, and throw a 2nd rock at it. If it does not run away, save. Throw balls at it until you capture it.

Btw, as Magikarp doesn't get moves, and isn't particularly strong anyway, you'll have to play backtracking a lot, especialy for 2 instances: one is the Grass type gym boss, and the second is the Rival at the Silph Co. Now these two hurt like heck, so you'll have to come back way overlevelled, or, especialy for the Rival, bring items to heal and stuff.

Last edited by twillight; 26-03-2023 at 09:21 AM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight