View Single Post
Old 16-03-2024, 01:17 PM   #585
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

By time progressing, I grew kinda appreciativ to this game, though I'll probably never like it either.
But tbh the ending makes sense, especialy if you binged the two games, and the puzzles' difficulty is kinda perfect.
With a couple of exceptions.

the spit-contest is very hard to figure out with wind, and the drink being necessary component for the otherwise trivial event.
and the elevator at the end for some reason did not close the first time I tried it? I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for that.
come to think of it, the code to win prize on the fortune wheel is another thing i just brute-forve it via save-scamm every time.

Now the real problems are two:
- the monkey. Why any of that part of the puzzle happens is beyond me. Sure, it makes sense when you have the solution, but otherwise... Nonsense.
- and LeChuck's piece of clothing. Now THAT goes against everything adventure-game. There's just no way a player would not just pick up that coin and move on. That you are pressured with that random quicktime event is horrendous too. That room absolutely needed LeChuck only showing up there if you put the coin into the machine! And react to the bloody coin! I once threw the coin into the coke-maton during the brief pause after he enters the room, and that has no effect! I call BS.

PS: there's also a new adventure-game trope in this one which wasn't in the previous titles listed here: the scummbag protagonist. You deliberately have to do nasty things, to which only the killing the rubber clown in Day of the Tentacles come close if anything. Here you steal a blind man's glasses, and saw off a pegleg of a disabled person. Not even close to the Deponia-series, but still something you have to account for.
Darn, I hate deponia for it's protagonist's attitude to the world!

Last edited by twillight; 16-03-2024 at 02:16 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight