View Single Post
Old 24-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #18
zafo999
I get HYPE

Send a message via AIM to zafo999

I have to somewhat agree with BP, though probably not to such an extreme. If you like to write fanfics, then do it. Who cares? I think BP is making a generalization saying that they are all bad... as justified as it may seem as most fanfics i've come across are written by 14 year old otaku.

However, it baffles me that if you were going to put such effort into a story, why not make it completely your own story? You can still borrow ideas/personalities/themes from other sources as all artists do, and if it's an original work, then you've got yourself a product ready to be marketed if that's your intention, or you may find yourself with fans of your own! If you're into being creative (as I would assume all fanfic writers are to some extent), why limit yourself in the confines of somebody else's story?

Besides, in a professional context, there is a negative stigma attached to fanfiction, whether it deserves it or not. If you just do it for fun, then hell, just do whatever you like to do and everyone else can piss off.

But again, I don't have anything against fanfiction writers and would easily put then above spam e-mailers. I don't have anybody trying to bombard my inbox with erotic stories about Megaman and Inu Yasha falling in love in the Shire.
zafo999 is offline                         Send a private message to zafo999