View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
1. Realms of Arkania immediately comes in mind.
Yeah, you never fail to deliver the answer, do you mate?
I was actually considering Arkania (it's Riva series, right?) and might include it in my to-play but as far as I remember fights are in 3rd person view but most of the game take place in 1st person view. Am I correct?

Quote:
2. Going from past, there is also Dark Sun dilogy. First part is good, but second was very buggy for me - but I played it before rise of Internet in Russia, so I never tried it with patches.
Now this is interesting. I have those games yet never played them. I'll probably have to rectify that mistake.

Quote:
3. Then there is The Dark Heart of Uukrul. Classic, turn based, pretty. But it had one strange bug for me when I played it in early 2000s (or maybe it was feature?) - food goes away very fast. So I wasn't able to enjoy this game at those pace at all - if you starving to death before fully exploring one level, it's too tense for me.
Sounds interesting. Gonna have a look at this one.

Quote:
4. You didn't mentioned Planescape: Torment. Same engine as Baldur's Gate 1.
It is not party based, is it?

Quote:
5. Arcanum is another common title from Troika that you omissed. It's a steampunk/fantasy hybrid. Battles are quite simple, as you have too good weapons usually, but overall game is very good.
Played and completed it and it's also steampunk-ish (which is good, great even but for now I'm looking for something in more of a traditional fantasy setting)

Quote:
snr=1_7_7_230_150_1]Avernum[/url][/b] available also for you. So you can check only it, and wait when all other 6 parts will arrived too.
Ha, ha, ha... You know what's in my Steam library, you know that I have those already.

Quote:
7. Neverwinter Nights features isometric turn-based gameplay too. I personally not enjoyed first part at all - generic plot and too little of non-battles possibilities is not for me. But second part was praised by many, so I have it. Never tried it yet though.
I think I may try NN2 first and see how it goes. I read some good things about it and it seems to be the close equal to Temple of Elemental Evil for me to try out...

Quote:
Hmm, but check The Last Remnant if you are more in battles than in plot. Game have very generic plot and setting, but turn-based battle system is quite unique and enjoyable. I have very good feelings about it, and plan to re-play game somewhere in the future.
This sounds like something new, noted.

Quote:
P.S. Oh, wait, I forgot about "3rd person view" restriction. Well, strike out M&M, Devil's Whiskey and Wizardry then.
Ha, ha, ha... Yeah, but don't worry about it mate, you gave me plenty of good ideas anyway. And on the side not I'll have to remove that signature soon enough...