View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #947
Japo
Autonomous human

I am playing this now. I had never got into it even though I loved the first X-com. Like many other people I found this game hard to start learning. I'm not sure why it feels so unwelcoming; once you take the effort to learn and start playing, you realize how similar the combat and base management engines are to the previous games.

All in all I'd say it's not a bad X-com game, other than this startup feeling, and the fact that the graphics SUCK so badly. I've seen the screenshots of this OpenApoc look much better, dunno if it's finished enough to play to the end. I might look at it for later replays.

I don't mind the city scenario, although I miss the global planet scape. The dystopian background politics are a very nice addition. I even found this fun play journal written as fan fiction.

I'm playing turn based tactics, even though I realize it makes some enemies much harder, such as brain suckers and hyperworms. I think real time might be ok and fun but would push me to band my soldiers together, while I like to save time by dividing them in 3 or 4 teams to scout the locations. I can't see myself managing separate squads in real time, scrolling back from one to the other as they are done moving; perhaps I just have to try it. I wish there was the option to switch back from turn-based to real-time in the middle of the battle, not just chosing either at the start.

I like that the starting Megapol armor is much tougher and gives my guys much better survivability than in X-com 1, specially at the start.

Just started kicking alien and Sirian ass, almost no technology... Like Trump says, "we'll see how it goes."