View Single Post
Old 13-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
The Spider Mastermind
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Geezer @ Mar 13 2007, 03:57 AM) [snapback]283326[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STFM @ Mar 12 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]283320[/snapback]
Quote:
Apologies if this is a repost

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/arts/des...xprod=permalink

Do you agree with the list? [/b]

Doom puzzles me a little. It didn't define the genre. There were FPS games before it. It did popularize the genre, however. Maybe they selected it because of the advances that it brought in game engine technology.
[/b][/quote]

Must be because of the advances made with the Doom engine. Personally, I always considered Wolfenstien 3D as being more genre defining.

I'm a little puzzled by Sensible World of Soccer, too. Whilst it pioneered replays, varying pitch condidtions, and is more comprehensive in terms of number of players/teams/competitions covered than most modern soccer games, it was released only a couple of years before the universal dropping of the top-down format in favour of the TV-camera "3d" format.
Surely the first 3d FIFA (96?) is more relevant to the current state of soccer games than SWOS?

Quote:
This isn't just a top ten list. This news story was announced under the guise of a Ten Most Important Games of all times, but really it's the first ten games to be added in this preservation project.[/b]
Ah, it makes more sense now.
The Spider Mastermind is offline                         Send a private message to The Spider Mastermind