View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Funkmaster5000
PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

I think this is true in some ways. Co-op shifts the view from surviving to "OMG you're friend ist dead, press X and he will rise again". If you think of classic survival games, they were very hard to beat. Everything was poisoned, exploding, sharp, hot, cold, too heavy to carry etc. - pure danger! If you happen to meet other people, most of the time they were enemies. Your goal to beat the game was: to survive.

But I think this hasn't only happened to survival games. The games themselves became easy, sometimes it's enough to push the right button at the right time to win. The whole industry has changed. When I bought Jagged Alliance, it came with a nearly 100 page manual (in a nice box of course). Which modern game offers something like that? If you read the manual and beat the game you we're proud, beause you were actually good.

I think this is what makes older games so fascinating and easy to get lost in them. It weren't the off the hook graphics (from a nowadays point of view), it was the work connected with them. You were the expert in that special dungeon, even if the dungeon was made out of ASCII symbols. Nevertheless co-op added some nice action elements which are very entertaining. I wonder what it would be like, to play Wasteland in co-op mode
Funkmaster5000 is offline                         Send a private message to Funkmaster5000