Thread: Icewind Dale
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I give my opinion on this trashy game too:

Yes, I didn't like it. Why?

Well, the graphic is just average. Ok, with that kind of resolution you have yur limits, but let's be honest: at least SOME variety on the background would be nice. This game doesn't offer that. Just snow, snow and more snow in cave, caves and more caves. The same knid of terrain, the same kind of colour, the same, the same, the same everywhere.

Now this is also not an RPG game. What makes an RPG? The choices being there. Not necessarily for the main story, but at least for some quests. Here though are no alternatives. At all. So a combat oriented adventure game? Maybe. RPG? No.

Oh, there are slight changes that can happen during the game. But those happen automatically, and 99% (when they're even there) mean a drawback. So you'll just keep your paladin 99% of the time far away from the conversations, to be able to buy that pesky spell what is required to win the forthcoming battle.

Oh, battles. You need a party with at least high-middle stats reach beyond the first half of the game. You also need a balanced party to reach beyond the first half of the game. And you also have to know all spells and abilities to the level of a hardcore AD&D player - also to reach beyond the first half of the game.

Now you also will need equipment. In this game, as it is so easy to be a point of failur in this kind of games, equipments are way too expensive to afford more then the best equipments during the whole playthrugh. And even for that from thousands of miles you'll have to carry each heavy worthless stuff to sell in the only shop of the entire bloody game, spending most of the playingtime to this, instead of atcual progress.

Voice acting is also a failure. There are no ingame voices, only the chaper-monlogues. I mean it was ok back with Warcraft 1, but a decade at least passed since that when this game appeared on the market!

All in all this game is boring, with zero replayablity. It is not actually a bad game, just a thing without colour. An Icewind Dale.
twillight is online now                         Send a private message to twillight