Thread: Hearts Of Iron2
View Single Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
mglsharkson

I have played all version of the game from HOI to HOI 2 doomsday. The tough learning curve of HOI been fix quite a bit and the game in HOI 2 plays much better and smoother. I never seem able to crush a country, usually I get so fixated in one corner of the world, not being aware of sneaky AI invading somewhere else. What is nice in HOI is the limited game option such as Finland Invasion 1940. Much easier to handle! Plus better execution of the whole production, research tree, administration (try sacking your leaders!) on top of world politics (all in in real or speed up time), each can be a sub game in itself!

The first HOI had a couple minor things I like better over HOI 2 but overall HOI 2 is far ahead. Get the Doomsday edition because it has ALL the fixes (still get latest patch) and additional fun of US Vs Russia 1945!
The nukes go flying and is a lot of fun! I remember in first HOI taking forever to get that first nuke, now you are geared up and ready to Dr. Strangelove the Russkies!

I played against AI many times in HOI, the more fun countries where Yugoslavia, Italy & US. The small counties
play faster & easier, the biggie - US - allows you to "build it all", make mistakes and live to finish the game. I tried online played but had firewall issues so never got it to work.

Read the chat boards on the web, try the demo and see if you like it. Some people found hidden gamy tricked to beat the computer (including 1944 Germany which invades Russia from Archangel and rules the world by '47), the AAR posted makes for great reading and good game tips.

Hope this helps!

MGL