View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #29
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I remember "using" computers from like 1982 or so, though not what, when exactly or how. I was about 6yo at the time. I remember playing with a winter sports game on a PC back in 1984 I think, though I don't know which one. Also an atari console at about the same time.
In mid-late 1984 I was enrolled in a private school for computing classes. I spent there almost 3 years, doing basic, pascal, and a few other, plus a couple of programs like dbase etc. (no, I barely remember anything nowdays LOL)
Start of 1987 I got my first owned computer, an Atari ST 520STfm (512K ram, 128k(I think) rom black and white high res monitor (124f IIRC) and external 3.5 double sided disk drive, connected mostly to a TV for colour gaming) Used it like it was the best thing in the world for the next six years, when January I think 1992 I got the Atari MEGA STE model and a colour monitor.
Spring of 1993 I got an Amiga 1200 with 20MBs HDD and a philips monitor.
September 1994 I got my first PC, a Intel 486DX2@66 with 8MBs RAM, and ....I don't remember the HDD but I think it was 512MBs, and it also had a Cirrus Logic 5428 graphics card, a sound blaster 16, and a double speed philips CDROM drive.
At various points later years I upgraded it to
Cyrix 586 100
AMD k5 133 (I think)
AMD k6 300
plus one more but I dont remember what LOL
then in 1997-8 I think, I got a k6-2 400 with a voodoo2 with 12MBs!!! The first time I looked at 3D computer graphics and was like WOW!!! I played (came with the card) a Rage game, .....don't remember the title right now, shooter that you in each level you had either a stationary AAA, or a tank or a flying craft, freaking cool looking game, and a good shooter too. Also I had Unreal (the very first) which again looked amazing with the Voodoo2. (I think, my memory is a bit messed right now LOL)
Then at 2000 I bought a GeForce 256 DDR with 32MBs memory! (was it then that I got Unreal perhaps?....hmm)
after that the Geforce died horribly and decided to not go for another nvidia card. Got a diamond eh Kyro II which was a great great cheap card. After that I got my laptop in summer 2002 with a PIV @ 1700, 512MB Ram, 30GB HDD (replaced later with a 7200 60GB drive) and a Radeon 7500m.
Had a good almost 4 years with it till last winter when I got my current super system

Other memories that I remember are playing Doom with a friend, taking turns to play, and I was better :-p
Playing Two onTwo GBA championship basketball on both my Atari's and a friend's Amstrad 464CPC, and playing whole tournaments between us (and his brother). I would usualy have a 70% win ratio at my place while only about 40 or so at their place. Great memories. Playing colonial conquest, for hours and hours and days alone and with 2 of my best friends. Even managing one single time of playing for 3 straight days for breaks only to pee and eat, no sleep LOL. What a game. I still play that game of course.
And many other memories with other old games.

efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios