View Single Post
Old 30-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #163
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

Default Unsurpassed honor?

Can't figure out how to get "unsurpassed honor" here. It stops scaling at extreme honor for me. Has anyone who got this able to remember how they did it?

I wanted to try getting the highest score. Out of interest, I did some trial-and-error hex editing in the game file, TALLTALE.DAT. I found the offset address for honor: a single entry at AD (or decimal 173) whose value basically ranges from 00 (no honor) to 78 (decimal 120, extreme honor). Unsurpassed is 80. While a daimyo with everything else pretty much maxed out, I did a lot of messing around with dueling, melees, and donating land to the monks, but nothing I do seems to get me above 78... which being hex, is actually eight points off 80, not two. Honor progression seems pretty straightforward until you hit this 70+ point range, which is represented by eight suns in your assets page.

One thing I didn't try was messing around with certain special events like the three dueling brothers or the ninja assassin urban attack which might end up paying off better or just behave differently. It's possible they give higher rewards or could push your honor rating up when it's already high... but I find that unlikely.

After playing through and getting a pretty nice score, I went back into TALLTALE.DAT and tried putting in 80 points for honor and generalship, to see what the highest score is:

The technical limit on points at the end of your game is probably 3,500. But you only get your 300-year dynasty message for exceeding this. Being two-digit hex values, the assets can all scale up to 255, values far greater than the mechanics allow, and points appear to keep climbing with honor, generalship, and land. You might be able to keep improving your generalship to high levels and break 3,500 without even worrying about honor— I don't know...
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz