Thread: Music Software
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #57
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

FL Studio is very easy to use, but I don't like it because I have a more multitracking-based approach to music creation and my sound is close. You can multitrack with FL Studio if you have ASIO, but it's not the best multitracker. Also FL Studio keeps you close to the mouse, even if you use MIDI controllers.

Less easy-to-use music software than FL Studio (but a lot more interesting IMO): Reaktor, PureData/MaxMSP. Actually, PureData is somewhat difficult to do anything with, but if you can use it then you can do anything.

More professional than FL Studio (i.e. used by more well-known producers): Ableton Live.

Hearsay: As far as I can recall, the guy "Jeskola" who developed the Buzz tracker entered into a deal for money with Imageline (the FL Studio people) to stop development of Buzz. In the early days, FL Studio contained some Buzz code - I don't know whether that's still the case. Ever since then, he's claimed that he "lost" the source code for Buzz. But I distinctly remember the allegations in the early days, connecting him to a deal with Imageline. If the allegations are true, then it's likely he's not supposed to talk about it. I don't know whether the allegations were true, but I do know they were made.

Trackers rule, because it's open source music. Other people can see your creativity and talent before their very eyes: there's no mystery and you didn't use hidden tricks - the playing board is level. I wonder how many FL Studio users are horizontal trackers, in their compositional style.
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon