View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 06:29 AM   #22
Guest_Dream

Well back then ( its damn.... 7-8 years ago??? ) i used pretty much the same strategie to win early games ( against mostly any one ) with 3 tactics:

Defense: This parti is pretty easy... early game always build you a small force of units to be able to defend yourself against the early attack ( mostly a gang of 7-8 quad for the 3-4 mission is enough ) then when you find out from where the enemy come, 6-7 turrets are more than enough to block them ( dont forget to put tanks in front of them asap to be able to kill off rocket launcher, computer always seem to be off range :P )
Normal turret until you can get rocket turret... no need to build normal afterward, rocket turret do the stuff :P

Scouting: This part is darn easy, in EVERY game just make a group of 4-5 quad.. then you use the move command and send your unit at the far end of the map ( radar is the very first thing you acquire EACH game.... very important ) then when you found your enemy just scout for spice and wipeout the harverster if possible ( you probably wont be able to kill him... but that keep the computer occupied after all :P )

Punching army: Here i will be pretty straight, as long you cant get palace you always make a big chunk of army to attack the enemy ( when i mean bigh i mean 20-30 siege tanks + 10 rocket launcher) You will tell me that it need alot of money.... well get yourself alot easy... To be able to acquire alot of money you need spice and to get spice you need harverster. The best way to get alot is well.... build alot of harverster! just get yourself 4 refinery early game ( i mean rreealll early :P ) then build up another 4 harverster ( when you can of course... ) what will happen? well since you got 2 harverster per refinery you get twice the result! then to be able to get a large army there is 2 technique: Get at least 4 building to get that unit for each type of units, then mass produce... best way to get a large army easly. Then when you get the chance just get a starport, you get build up an army very fast without needing a large amount of space to get your building ( and to protect at the same time :P ) Also ordering harverster and carrier is your very first though when getting your starport... best way to get money and dont be afraid to overkill :P

Here is a little list of what i did and what i didnt with each of them, use type of units im not saying, but i just found them useless :P

Harkonnen: Well its mostly the only group i do mostly everything from beginning to end until palace come in. Early trooper are good to attack enemy ( even if they are darn slow!! ) and devastator is your favorite friend ( mostly when you can get 10 of them in your opponent base :P )

Atreides: Same as harkonnen but couple of things i completly didnt used: Sonic tank , the flying attack unit ( can't remember the name! ) and infantry units why? mostly because sonic tank are only usefull when you only build them.... their sonic attack destroy everything except each other, and with their incapacity to kill rocket turret due to their small armor and relativly short range i never used them except once with a group of 25... 3 survived
For the flyer, they are easly taken down, the only tactic i could use to kill them was to make a group of them, but since they cost toooo much i just prefered my siege and rocket launcher :P And for the troop: Weak, slow , unusable. Only in the 2 first mission i used them because i dont have a choice, else then that i dont even bother to upgrade them.

Ordos: Well for them its all good except the flyer again and the troop also. But here is a little secret and im sure no one ever tryed it. Ill just tell you what is your best weapon when facing more than 1 opponent: Deviator, why you tell me? Well the real firepower in the deviator is not to use is own unit against him... but against is ally!!!!
Why? because when you take over an ennemy unit you can turn it against is own ally!! Ill explain: Lets say your facing atreides and harkonnen and you take control of a harkonnen devastator, what you do? Well make him attack an atreides structure ( palace and construction yard 1st ) As long the target is not destroyed ( building OR unit ) it will attack it!!! The best way to do that is to put deviator infront of your turret, wait to be wittin range, take over the unit and send it back against is ally, even if the effect wear off the unit will still attack! Pretty nice here :P
Also saboteur also work against both units and building.

For the palace well ill just explain the way i did to win with each of them!

Harkonnen: For the last mission of house harkonnen your best bet is to punch up with alot of palace ( and when i mean alot i mean ALOT like 8-9 ) then you only target the construction yard of the enemy ( buy scouting with quad as i said earlier ) then you target them... why not the enemy palace instead first? Because when the computer loose is construction yard there is NO way he can get another one , hes to dumb to get another one, then you just need to destroy the sardaukar palace and you can destroy the enemy... dont forget that palace doest require money to repair ( im not certain but if memory serve me right... ) and they destroy your enemy... how not get destroy? go see top and also watch at the bottom of this whole post :P

Atreides: Well best thing i could do was to make a similar approach to the harkonnen, palace. Sometime the computer wont be able to detect some fremen as long they dont attack any enemy unit, if you got 15 squad of 4 sometime 1-2 even maybe 3 will get trough and most of the time they target got enemy target... you can also harrass your enemy with siege tank and rocket launcher but that mostly it..

Ordos: Well as explained earlier just make a couple of deviator and use them to take over enemy units to turn them against each other. Im mostly getting 2-3 saboteur to kill enemy harverster. With repair they need to put to keep up with attacked building and their need to always rebuild their harverster take them down pretty fast :P

Thats it folk.. now that i found this website.. time to play!! :P