View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumiuN View Post
We are all valued members of this forum, and to even have the possibility of losing one or more is simply not worth the arguments.
I'll just quickly reply to this part, although I think you make a lot of sense in your post generally.

Losing one or more members... yes, that's the point. There should never be a loss of members due to some arguing. But once it happens that hard-working, contributing and long time members are starting to leave, somethings have to be resolved. Until now they have always just been swept under the rug.

On a further note...
'serving a sentence' of temporary bans... if they're not such a big thing to get upset about it, why are they even issued and what's their purpose anyway?
I mean, da you really think they have the power to transform a user into becoming a different person, or are they simply annoying and frustrating to the person who got banned?
I can assure you that unless a person really feels he/she did something wrong, any form of punishment is pointless, since it will only frustrate the person.
On the other hand if the person realizes his/her mistake, no punishment is needed.

Of course there are cases where it is good that people in fear of punishment don't do certain things... A person might be angry enough to shoot you, but in the fear of haveing to carry the consequnces of murder, he/she does not shoot. But those are only extreme cases and it is questionable even in those cases if it is really this fear that prevents a person from acting upon impulse.

But surely forcing people to behave in any way through the element of fear is not (or at least I hope that people agree with me on this statement) acceptable.
Not to mention that this form of internet punishment is also not really harsh enough to be all too effective. Worst case scenario - you can't use a ceretain website, there are plenty more.
Yet there have been several member who left because of such things in the past... the earliest I remember was Yamcha, after the warns were implemented (for those who don't remember, or weren't here at the time, there was a little warn meter under the user's name, that showed how many times and how severely that person was warned and broke the rules).
Interesting enough that prior to all that this site had a lot of fun... but afterwards, people got warnings for so many different things... I mean, posting in good humor itself got risky. You could get warns for bringing old threads back to life, for making new threads if there were old ones (which you couldn't reopen anyway) to talk about something... So generally if you weren't there the first time around, you couldn't talk about certain things.

Lucky for the site the things have eased up, but I'm guessing here we go again, hopefully for the last time now.

And just to mention a few names of people who are gone and were in one way or another involved in such fights in the past...

Yamcha, Fawfulhasfurry, Wormpaul, Wendymarrie, Anubis, Kon-Tiki, Indignus IV (sure, he came with bells on, but one of the first things he started doing was to review games)... and those people never returned (there were others who left but came back), which is a loss for the site.

OK, so I wasn't as brief as I thought I'd be...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos