View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
Megaten
Abandonia nerd

Huh? SC2 is absolutely about saving the human race, just not directly stated outright. Even assuming the Kzer-Za remain dominant, they aren't exactly benevolent. It's called a "slave shield" for a reason.

Anyway, OP, I wonder if you might be conflating the details of different games?

For example, Nomad (AKA Project Nomad) doesn't fit many of your details, but the angelic race you describe sounds like the Chanticleer, one of eleven(?) races in the game. But there is no insect race, and like Star Control 2 the threat to Earth is implicit, not explicit.

On the other hand, it only has about five races (I think?), but the troubled Protostar: War on the Frontier features an insectoid race, the Ghebraant. Insectoid races are pretty common in these types of games, of course, but the specific way the player has to form an alliance with them is to find them a new planet that is rich in resources which they can relocate to. Additionally, the threat posed by the Skeetch is an explicit danger to humanity.

Both these games were released in 1993...they're also both on Abandonia. Unfortunately, getting more direct and comprehensive information on these titles seems to be quite difficult (especially compared to all the stuff available for Star Control 2).

If you still believe this is a single game you're remembering, it's quite possible it's an obscure title that has not received much attention on the internet. I think the single biggest way of narrowing down the possibilities lies in how much you can recall of how combat was handled. If you can remember whether it was real-time or turn-based, and what perspective it was viewed from (top-down, cockpit/bridge, etc), that could be a big help.
Megaten is offline                         Send a private message to Megaten