View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hunted View Post
Why just Tofu?
Well, I only played Re2, and is familiar with to a degree 1, 3 and 4.

One with its multiple ending is a direction of gamesI never liked. Sry, I'm a completionist, and those games frustrate me.
3 had a bad reputation overtly focusing on Nemesis, what couldn't carry the game according to those who had the machine to play it.
And 4 looked a lot like a shot 'em up/early multiplayer games, which I didn't participate in, neither developeda feeling for - although by the video material I recognised it as a good game in its genre, and a good marketing decision seeing the final result.

Now this leaves me with the nostalgia of Re2, which I was pretty good back then amongst the hungarian community.
We here had no access to any supporting material, so we actualy tried to unlock Akuma, and to that I played the main game over and over with just pistol, although I definitely played most with Leon A, infinite ammo, armless special outfit.
The code did not influence the ranks, and the B missions demand using a rocket launcher, while the mythical requirements demanded "pistol only" you know.

My problem with the main story parts nowdays is, they take an extensive amount of time, and I'm just too busy with other stuff. So I'm left with the minigames.

There were 3 minigames:
- Extreme Battle Mode, which is just frustrating with its random factor, and mini-spiders everywhere, and stuff (I'm not fond of random, and I'm definitely not a pro-gamer, I'm definitely your average talent gamer, who gravitate toeasy, but legit solutions, so I'm a good resource solving hard parts if they can be solved - many games don't allow loopholes, 'cause they're made specificaly for pros). It's not exactly hard, but very frustrating. I don't like frustration.
- The 4th Survivor, aka. Hunk. This is just a totaly fine minigame. You learn it, and gives you an adrenaline-rush at any casual time. But that's it. This is a better made "Candy Crush Saga level".
- and there's ToFu

ToFu mode in the original was the Non Plus Ultra Skill Challenge.
The map was fixed, so it definitely went back to knowledge. Not talent, not luck, no bullshit - but dedication. You practiced enough, you could make it.
It was also Over 9000 hardcore difficult. While a whole run took 10-20 minutes (I did if remember correctly 14 minutes and some), it took YEARS to finish it the first time, and it was a collaborative progress too, people sharing online info how to do room after room.

So the ToFu-run for me is one of my legends. It's a thing that never got easy, always told the world, you are that good. And the same time it didn't take a week to pass through, so you could go back and do it again.

That's why.