View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #31
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Spectre's right about power features. But actually for that kind of thing there's PowerShell (which is an optional Windows update):
http://www.microsoft.com/powershell
I prefer Total Commander. It allows me to do the most of the same operations but more user-friendly. Question was - if windows can do it natively (even if I have no idea, why .
Quote:
Windows 8 for PC is different from the mobile version--actually it includes that (apps and tile start menu) on top of a normal 6.x Windows. The only difference is the tile start menu, which IMO is a big usability improvement over the traditional cascade one (and that you can run "Win RT" apps, as well as normal Windows desktop programs).
Unfortunately, it's also tied with Windows' "security" system, when you cannot manipulate disk C, get files from net to desktop, run "non-authorised" files and so on. Annoying thing. I know what I want, I don't need safety net!

Unfortunately, if I'll disable this safeguard, "tiled" apps disabled too. Funny, eh?
Quote:
The tiles are just shortcuts located in the same exact paths as the start menu shortcuts in previous Windows versions. Both apps and desktop programs create tiles, the latter when they would create start menu shortcuts in previous versions. Of course in mobile Win8 it's different, but so's in Android or iOS.
I know, Japo. Problem is, I am usually need to know where file is located, and tiles is one level above links/shortcuts! So in desktop environment I am opening file properties and see the path. Now I am clicking, selecting "location" in different menu (no floating menu, eh?), and see... location of link. Oh, great. Tiles? Not for me, thank you.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre