View Single Post
Old 14-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Well, it's impossible to fix what isn't here. So there are only two possible solutions: find intact archive, or find the files that are missing from the archive. Both looks... not very promising
We have found the intact Gripen demo 0.96. The complete archive was preserved by the flightsim.com website.

As for the ARJ of the Great Air Battles demo 1.5, it's a different case compared to the incomplete ZIPs that the Wayback Machine did not record above the first 1,024 KiB or so. This ARJ is smaller than 1 MiB and the files are there, but it looks like the header is broken or something:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
7-Zip shows only one file inside, GAB-DEMO.ARJ which is 751,792 bytes in size, and gives an error while testing. When I use the test file command in ARJ for DOS it gives the "Bad file data, CRC error!" message, followed by "Bad header". Using the -jr suffix I can extract everything from gab-d15a.arj, which also includes the files ORDER.FRM, README.NOW and FILE_ID.DIZ (they are stored after GAB-DEMO.ARJ so 7-Zip does not see them). ARJ also gives the message "Can't read file or unexpected end of file" after extracting. The recovered GAB-DEMO.ARJ is only 53 248 bytes in size. The rest of it is still inside gab-d15a.arj, but somehow it does not come out, possibly due to "bad header" mentioned above. Any ideas? [source]
Later versions of the ARJ archiver included a "repair record" option similar to the one in RAR, but this particular file does not have it.
Quote:
I'll keep my eye on that during my roaming on the Net in search of DOS games for the eXoDOS.
Thanks! I guess it then makes sense to give a rough list of what is missing:
  • Viper Software shareware sims that I listed in the first post
  • missing Great Air Battles versions that I listed in the first post
  • missing sims by Minerva Interactive (almost nothing preserved at that site)
  • CF-105 Avro Arrow Beta 1, possible file names: arrow.zip OR cf105.exe
  • Hog Heaven 0.18 alpha, file names: hoghv018.zip, hogwav.zip, music.zip
  • International Security Forces: Battle of France, file name: Isf.zip
  • Gyroplane 2000 and Cruz by Ferg Monaghan (see first post)
  • F-117A Stealth Fighter: Night Flight to Baghdad front end, file name: f117_fe.zip; and possibly a newer version of the sim itself (f117.exe)
  • tons of stuff catalogued by Adrian E. Brown and at some point available from ftp://ftp.kuju.com/fst/
Quote:
P.S. Do you seek something like this?
That's the same archive as the one I linked to in the first post Actually this one is broken too, and I have not found a complete version. Thankfully we at least have two later complete releases (2.5 and 1.3). Note that the version numbering for this game is confusing, since the first 1994 releases are somehow 2.x, then there are 1.x in 1995 and the final was 3.0.