View Single Post
Old 17-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #95
WillBKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo0681 View Post
i guessed that and i had a go following the instructions in the link but got stuck. Went in search for Dark Omen instead. Took 5mins to download 2mins to install and had no problems with it, so spent all day playing that instead.

Dark Omen is amazing, I seriously love that game - the graphics, the characters, cutscenes, generally mood are great. The best bit has to be the battle in the Great Forest when the goblins attack and the flagellant guy says: "They're all around ussssssssss!"

However....................
Shadow of the Horned Rat has some cool elements which beat Dark Omen. It is less linear, you can choose your missions (you rarely get to do this in DO), and you have to make decisions about which units to recruit. There are more units to choose from, but you can't have them all, as they cost money in upkeep. But you can have a lot of units on your roster if you want to, meaning you have much more control over your army than in DO.

Some of the SOTHR missions are great too - the one where you have to dash to safety in the Dwarf fort, fighting a rearguard action along the way, sticks out in my memory.

the big problem with SOTHR is the controls. It's difficult and clunky. The graphics aren't very good either.

Love both games! They just don't make strategy games like these any more, it's such a shame
WillBKK is offline                         Send a private message to WillBKK