View Single Post
Old 13-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

*Voted no*

I think that altough the graphics, sound and all the eyecandy is in bucketloads nowadays, the game plots and the actual gameplay just don't do the justice. Also the game developers screw up their games often. Have Bloodrayne for example. BR1 was already a good game with good graphics (maybe the engine object collision detection would need some tweaking, tho), nicely surprising elements in the plot and rather good gameplay. BR 2 is supposed to have a better engine - in fact it only works slower, and its combat system went from too simple to overtly ubercomplicated. And don't get me started on combos and their names...

Many games today seem to miss this "magic" of the titles of the olde... plus they just don't give the same challenge as those before them.

For example, newest Warhammer game, dawn of War. Come on, I've beaten it in two days. And the last time I've played an RTS before it was over a year back. Will see how long will it take on the hardest setting...
While the 13 year old Space Hulk taken me a week to beat. Week of nearly constant playing, tearing my hair out in despair, banging the head against the wall (@$%^ ! 23rd attempt at this goddamn mission!) and general feeling of satisfaction after beating each challenge ( :evil: Yes! :Titan: Just twenty seven attempts!).

Also, the music... I cannot really say that 128 kbps 44 khz music today is much better then the old Mod or Midi music back in the days.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman