View Single Post
Old 13-04-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Apr 13 2005, 04:34 AM
Play Half Life 2 and you've played Halo 2, Super Metroid Prime 2 and all that crap, for example. Story's always the same: "They bad, we good. We got guns, so we shoot bad." That or it's yet another RPG spoofed off of the Baldur's Gate engine. There's nothing innovative in today's games (except Syberia and a few others, but they're kept out of the spotlight, for some reason).
That's not something I agree with - in fact the 3 you list there (plus maybe TimeSplitters: Future Perfect which has a great story, although is hardly innovative) are good examples of recent FPS games with deep, rich and immersive storylines which, coupled with the graphics and so on, make for an amazing game experience which is hard to beat. As for innovation, what about Darwinia, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Half-Life 2's physics? there are some innovative and exciting titles out there, which tend to be overlooked by the buying masses in today's console-driven market, which is WHY they're so few and far between - they don't make enough money for the big publishers, it's just the way the market goes.

I'd agree with Evad that it's hard to compare the two, since the technology has moved on so far, but also that good gameplay wins every time (why do you think everyone's favourite Final Fantasy is VII?)

The Picard also makes a good point - we do forget the crappy games we've played in the past and romanticse the better ones (replaying Diggers recently was a HUGE disappointment for me, after I remembered how good it was at the time). We also forget that there were plenty of crappy games made "back then" too, but that they've been forgotten in the decade between.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone