View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 AM   #22
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Quia View Post
I agree that the haircut is... strange... And what's up with the goatee? I mean, in the first game, guybrush is supposed to be a baby-face, which made funny he wanted to be a pirate! He always looked younger than he is!

But yeah, I would totally play it, anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BranjoHello View Post
I agree that the style is too Burton-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatsen View Post
Yeah, the art dissapoints me too.
Can't they find him a good face? They have pretty much made changed his face throughout the series for every release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Quia View Post
I have also enjoyed Curse of Monkey Island, even though I am a long time lover of the first two MI. It has simply a lot of humor. An Murray. Oh, my god, Murray is between the most funny MI characters. The only MI that I didn't like (although it had a thing or two) was Escape From Monkey Island. It just simply wasn't good. And I can't believe what they did to Murray! I mean, so much potential an only have him as a promoter? C'mon!
There isn't, since the very beginning, a single consensual line of artistic design for MI. I remember being appalled when the 3rd and 4th instalments came out. I understand the reluctance to accept yet another artistic flair, but the series evolved with and for the times they were released in. The uneasy felling will pass, eventually, as it did in the past - for me, Guybrush Threepwood will always be both the pixelated hero in the first two games and the Holliwoodesque Steve Purcell cover art and in-game closeups. Oh, and he has Dominic Armato's voice.

Even Ron Gilbert wonders if:

Quote:

THE END
P.S. I was always bothered by these close-ups. While they were great art, I never felt they matched the style of the rest of the game. Not sure how I feel about them 20 years later.
...which in turn received a torrent of comments by anonymous readers - which I more or less agree with:

Quote:
I loved this close-up actually! It felt like a jump back to a higher reality back then.. like "the dream is over" or something.. and recall getting my first boner (I think) by Elaine. That's right, Mr. Gilbert! - You have made me a man!
Quote:
Agree about the closeups. Guybrush looks like a real hero, not a doofus.
Quote:
Like some said before me, the closeups were nice. They gave a warm, fuzzy feeling of seriousness that endeared me to the game even further.
Quote:
I've always though that meanwhile Monkey I and II were two master pieces that share the same spirit, all the nex games without you lost an internal coherence. Monkey III is unauthentic. Like jews with new testament, I've always considered subsequent games fake and not part of the Monkey Island Canon Only on exemple: In Monkey I/II Elaine is a charismatic and intelligent lady with strong character, in Monkey 3 is a helpless housewife. Plus the new art style without Steve Purcell was too childish.