View Single Post
Old 24-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkywizzleteats View Post
Ok I have tried for a couple hours now to get this thing to boot off of CD. I can't figure out whats wrong. The best I could get it to do was act like it was going to do something then spit out a long string of numbers in the black screen and something about IDE and Intel.
As Japo says, most probably it means that your CD is not bootable. I seen it several times, with self-written CDs, that must be bootable, and even is bootable in some systems - but not another. Had no luck in deciphering what is the reason of it, so usually I am taking another CD in such cases.
Quote:
Would it be Windows98 in .iso format?
Basically, you can put content of Win98 CD on USB. As far as you can boot into command prompt, you can start setup.exe manually. But I have no idea how to make it bootable. Hope, Japo's links will be good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Yes, Disblo II is not that old and was released for Windows XP. Magic Shandalar was released for MS-DOS though.
Error. Twice.

Both games are from Win98 era, and made for that. Also, MtG have some problems on XP - two can be fixed with proper setting and ACT, third is too elusive, happens on rare systems and have something with low-level drivers conflict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
I've never set up Windows in multi-boot, but I think it doesn't provide a generic solution. If I'm not wrong, when you proceed to install a newer version of Windows and you already have an older one, you may get the option to set up a dual boot, instead of erasing the older one. In other cases Windows doesn't provide multi-boot, as far as I know.
Well, actually, WinXP is unaware about Vista/Win7 (obviously), so installing XP surely mess with Win7 anyway.

But usual fix with windowses is re-install 7 over win98 on the same place where it was. If dual boot is supported on Win7 (I have no idea, honestly), you will get working dual boot system.
Quote:
Virtual PC is far easier than any of this. Your BSOD is a symptom of a problem not particular to VPC, that you should try to solve anyway.

Please note that if you install Windows 98 in your real machine to play DOS games, you may find that they don't work properly because your CPU is too fast or any other hardware issue.
Second here. I abandoned my 98 after that it become incompatible with my motherboard. Having generic video and lot of non-recognized peripheral is not very fun, actually. Also, it behave... fuzzy with RAM over 2GB. And you need partition your disk in FAT32, as NTFS supported only from XP and up.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre