View Single Post
Old 29-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by methuselah View Post
To further explain the merits of "cURL"; it not only allows downloads to be resumed (if supported by the server), but also allows session-to-session resumption of downloads, that is, one segment one day, another segment another day, etc. Most GUI download managers (I have one installed), do not allow session-to-session downloading.

Changes at "Abandonia" have thwarted the usage of "cURL". As far as I could see, the former way of doing things at "Abandonia" was adequate to stop bandwidth thieves. A string in the download link changed every time the download page was accessed, making it necessary to paste the changed download link into the "cURL" command-line every session. But "cURL" still worked -- download resumption was possible.

Now, "cURL" is useless. As with other GUI download managers, it is "download all or nothing." I think the "new way" of doing things at "Abandonia" is a definite regression.

And as far as broadband being "cheap", dial-up is even cheaper. How about 99 USD per year. What a deal! And I do not think it is smart marketing to try to force people to buy broadband access to make full use of a website.

I don't think it's smart to use dial-up in this day and age, but maybe that's just me.

Unless you tell me good reasons why should we make a concession and not you, I'll treat this as a joke.

Since dial-up users are so limited they:

-Block ads and never view them
-Never click on ads because it takes too much to load
-Rarely visit forums and usually don't contribute to the site

First: we're trying to survive, not to do marketing schemes. We're only promoting AB for the community and the old games.

Second: There are guys who make money using our bandwidth, and basically you want us to let them stealing from you and from AB, just so that you have a session-to-session download.