View Single Post
Old 18-01-2007, 05:28 AM   #8
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

You are right about disagreeing with that statement. I guess I should have rephrased that, be more precise and not going for snappyness. What I meant was, I've talked to people on both sides, and some of these patients firmly believed the voices was real or that the staff were aliens or that everyone was out to harm them. Everyone else, included other patients with their own problems, disagreed, but for that patient that would seem more like a conspiracy. So in these cases we're not talking about petty "are too, am not", but ideas that got stuck and caused the persons to not be able to function in society.

As for reasons why brains cease to work properly, I haven't got a clue. Well, I guess it has to do with chemicals/neuron, but we know so little of the brain and how external impressions may influence it both chemically and physically. Long term stress can cause a reaction, so can a one-time event that we couldn't "cope with" (I'm really out on my depths here, so it's mainly guesswork. I haven't actually thought this through).

It's true that people who was considered "crazy" by their contemporaries, later was hailed as geniouses, and it seems to me that there isn't a sharply drawn line between madness and genious. And I believe it is true that there are no such things as "universally moral" rights or wrongs.

(I'll leave it as this for the time being. Maybe I will get some more thoughts on it later. Then again, maybe not )