View Single Post
Old 18-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
LianneJW1912
Abandonia nerd

Default What's the current status of Abandoned Times? And Some Thoughts...

So I'm here because I'm interested in writing some articles/generally helping with the writing or producing of Abandoned Times (funnily enough). I've seen some forum posts from 2017, so I know some people are still enquiring about production of the magazine, but most of the responses I have seen have been mere conjecture, or several years old, and I've found little concrete evidence on the progress on, or indeed even the existence of, Issue 4 :P I just wanted to know what the situation was and who to discuss the eZine with, seeing as there seems to have been a change of editor since the first issue, which I was lucky enough to read when it first came out as a mere 12 year old (so I am something of a young gun, yes :P )

I would also be interested in contributor's opinions of expanding outside of DOS, as is the scope of the website, for the magazine; incorporating things such as the Amiga line of computers, something very dear to retro computer gamers of the UK, or the Atari ST etc. It may also be a good idea to recognise the nature of the eZine and how articles are produced, and opt for a smaller, more concise format: Say 20 to 30 pages, which would likely allow for an easier production and more output. If we were to take this model, for example, and apply it to the current magazines, there could have been a total of 5 - 7 issues to show for everyone's hard work, which certainly looks more appealing for potential readers.

Another question I have was the readership of the magazine. It was mentioned in the editorial of Issue 3 that the readership was, and I quote, "[smaller] than an obscure doujinshi at the Comiket". Do we have rough figures for that? Downloads, number of different users, etc? Just out of interest more than anything else... What is the status of the magazine with contributors? How many do we have, how many articles come from the editor and how many come from other people? SO many questions, I know, it must feel like playing 20Q, but I'm very interested in the magazine and helping to make it better, where I can. It's been a real influence on my growing up, and made a huge change to the games I've been interested in as I moved to adulthood. Where others of my generation got excited over the new games on Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii, I was hunched over my desk, violently tapping my keys in frustration trying to get DOSBox to work! There's been some fantastic work put into this magazine over the years, and I think there's still more to give. Sorry that this got so long, it wasn't supposed to happen haha

Yours,

LJW1912
LianneJW1912 is offline                         Send a private message to LianneJW1912