View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Congrats, Tracker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Then again, abandonware is also kind of a dead scene now, too old for young people who can get it on GOG or don't even know about very old games
Um, actually, it depends on what do you name "abandonware scene". Abandonware was hot when it was fresh - 1995 game is quite good when you are in 2000+. Now it's less populated, if we are speaking about the same period (1980-1995), but, I bet, there is still a lot of activity if speaking about 2005+ games. Not my thing though, because I moved to legal on this time range, thanks to Steam.

Speaking about "true" Abandonware, pre-2000s one, I can name three hot points and one at least warm. old-games.ru make a great efforts to preserve all Abandonware - seeking it, buying it and tracking it (even if I, personally, shocked with their fond of Korean games), Abandonware France does the same for French games, and eXo do a great work to make playable DOS-collection of _everything_ (i.e. one game, best version, preferrably English one to be playable). I am resident of his Discord channel, so I can see it, and participate too.

And "warm" point is DOS-collection. They intended to collect everything about DOS-games, so it makes it less organized and less usable than eXo's one, but also bigger and more universal too. Not much action there, unfortunately, but it is.