Thread: Railroad Tycoon
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #136
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanzz View Post
... I came on here meaning to ask for strategies on tycoon, the hard difficulty. I can't seem to turn any profit on it, because I think each step up reduces your fares.
Not sure anymore since it's probably been more than a decade since I played this, but on the hardest difficulty levels I usually started in Europe, connecting the 2 biggest cities in the Belgium / Netherlands area (e.g. Antwerp, Brussels) and if the passenger and mail volume allowed it, have 2 trains run between those stations. I would then branch from the biggest town to another big one (e.g. further North in the Netherlands or South to France), this time only 1 train because 2 would drain the city that's shared between those routes. Provided I have the cash, I'd then buy a train to run the longest route between those 3 cities, on highest priority.

By all means avoid steep grades in the early stages because those trains can't cope with them. Similarly, try to go for a train that runs at high speeds with 2-3 carriages since speed is key to get a decent income and run a profit in the end.