View Single Post
Old 14-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #26
KrazeeXXL
BORG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
And here I am, ol'school gamer.
Bye bye flea markets were you can dig through piles of (older) games, bye bye second hand markets etcetera etcetera blah blah.

And of course bye bye abandonware.

And yet, I guess it's progress, after all, sooner or later (prob will be sooner then later) we'll all work in the 'clouds' , so yeah, I guess that steam and alike are the future.

Can't stop progress, isn't it?
^^ this

Somehow I feel the same way. I also feel forced to use steam. And I hate it to be forced to do anything...

My first game was a gift from a friend called: Beat Hazard. You know, it's like Audiosurf but you have a lil' spaceship and destroy enemies. A Quasi Space Invaders 2011 where you can listen to your favourite mp3s/wmas/oggs or flacs and blow shit up after a long and tiring day (even with multiplayer function now )

So I got my Steam Account. Logged in, oh Portal for free. Ok lets download it, it's for free afer all - same story like Japo's as I barely played it. The next game I wanted for many many years was Deus Ex: human revolution. And again Steam required...

But surprise. You wouldn't believe it. A friend of mine works at the Media Markt here in my city and told me that several hundred ppl bought the game there on the release day just like me. So ppl are still buying games in stores. But stores are darned empty though.
DX:HR was ofc an exception bc ppl wanted something to hold in their hands and say: "yessa, finally it's here and it is miiiineee!".

This online-out-sourcing will cost a lot of jobs in the not the distant future I'm afraid. There aren't much ppl anymore going to the stores to actually buy a game. When I go to the Media Markt the games section is almost empty. They also have good offers there. F.e. Fallout 3 GOTY (with all 5 frackin' dlcs!) for 10 bucks or X-Superbox for 10 bucks which contains the complete X-Series (like 3,4 or even 5 games).

Definitely worth it and when I have the time and mood I look by. It's not much but somehow I support ppl I know and like from my own region who work there. Who do you support you know who works for Steam? Do you even know a single person who works for Steam? No, me neither. But I know at least 5 ppl who work here for the retail industry and are paid badly bc shit like Steam.

DRM is just a poor excuse imho.

It just became a mechanism to tie customers with the smallest effort. And now, most of us ppl who disliked or even hated Steam are there. They did a good job. Kudos Valve to your hostile acquisition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen
Then there's the weekly deals, weekend deals, daily deals, Summer/Christmas sales....man those chew up people's bank account. A lot of times they offer whole bunch of games with the price of one.
You got it! That's what it's all about. I got Dirt 3 with my new graphics card and I can count the hours on one hand I've played it. Cool game tho. But I also needed an effin Windows Live acc to get it running... - not to mention I had to download 11 GB via Steam - the pain!!! This damn game just seems to be designed for that single purpose! get customers no matter what. Yea and then you have frikken microjunk points and what the shit not. You wouldn't believe it. Capitalism at it's finest. hey but I got a free car and track-pack there. So it must be good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen
So get into program and learn to love Steam! It is worth it.
using it: hm...kay... have to; but loving it: no way, U MAD BRO???!!1 oO

p.s:

forgotten one thing which is good about steam:

less paper and plastic shit so it's somehow good for the environment from an ecological pov.

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 14-01-2012 at 01:14 AM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL