Thread: GeForce FX 5200
View Single Post
Old 14-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Sorry to say, but this isn't 2003. Go get a better video card.
I'm sorry to say, but this is not helpful. I bought this rig around 2003, I'm not going to waste my money purchasing a new card which will most likely not even help me play newer games on this old machine. Beside, the card + drivers combo I have right works way past fine for the vast majority of what I play with and want to play with, not to say that what I play with are old games which would probably not work well with new hardware.

As I said, not helpful.

Quote:
Interesting my ATI 9600XT was supported until last year. Maybe you should check what the last driver is that supports your series and up(or down)grade to that and stick with it. I don't know nVidia cards that much, but if it's around the same series as mine, you should be able to run games up to 2006 or so and later if they don't require Shader 3.0.
How can I check that? Everytime I go to the Nvidia site I use the dropdown menu to find the up to date drivers for my card and I do select the FX serie... Which lead me to the drivers which don't work. Would you have a better option?

Quote:
As much as I understand you used even an older driver before than that one from 2007. If I was you, I would be still using that original driver, or at best that from 2007 since support for a bit more "exotic" GForce FX cards like 5200 and 5700 (the latter I use) was dropped few years ago already as much as I know.
I was actually using original drivers until I had to update them to be able to play WoW a while ago. That must be around 2007, so it fits. At that time I used the most up to date drivers available at Nvidia website and it is those that I still use. I liked those new drivers a lot because it also automatically installed a Nvidia command menu which I didn't have before, which allow me to tweak a lot of different options for every individual games. I'm not sure it would be wise to downgrade from that.

Quote:
The new drivers wouldn't support that old card and actually will only worsen the troubles because compatibility for old games goes steadily backwards with each new version out. Besides, it's mostly bullshit that using the newest drivers is the best thing. That only is true for newest, up-to-date cards and games, and more like the opposite for old cards and old games. Unless, of course, you want also to play new(est) games with that card, but that's everything but recommendable.
Hummm... That is unfortunately what I was thinking too. So I should be better to simply stick with those drivers I already have and simply consider some games to be unplayable on this rig... A shame, really.

Not that UFO: Aftermath is really worth the trouble of trying to find a fix... It is one of the worst games I ever played, to be frank. But I did want to finish it one day. Too bad for it then.