Thread: Populous
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
lgonggr
Forum hobbit

This is actually a rather memorable occasion (the placing of this game on this site, that is) and I am inclined to ramble on a bit...

Some PC games have made gaming history. One of these is Populous. Some other games like this are Syndicate, UFO Enemy Unknown, DOOM, Civilisation,..., well check this site out for more gems like this. The reason these games were played to death by EVERYONE (yes, I know, except you :bleh: ) is that they were completely original concepts which set the stage for a billion clones (some of which were excellent).

This originality is sorely lacking these days in many fields . Is our imagination exhausted ? Is our creativity degrading ? Are we doomed to go to the movies and having to choose between Rocky 94 and Scream 56 ?
Fortunately, the answer is no, as HomeWorld is a quite recent and brilliant example of (can't wait till NEXUS hits the shelves :w00t: ). The problem is that games (and movies) are much bigger now, cost a lot more to make, and take a lot longer to make. And because it is so expensive, new concepts are risky things to try out. But when they are good, the payoff is HUGE.

Back to the good old days, when I was first introduced to Populous, it was absolutely revolutionary. The very first God-game. Even the graphics were very impressive then. It blew my mind and I played it for ages. I even bought the expension pack. Bullfrog still remains the most innovative game company ever in my humble opinion, and this is were they really started to roll. Respect k:

Well, it seems I got very and I deserve to be , but the very first God-game can't help but make you philosophical. Gods bless Peter Molyneux and his cronies for providing me with countless sleepless nights.

Cheers,
Lodewijk
lgonggr is offline                         Send a private message to lgonggr