View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

You couldn't make it up. I didn't believe that Holocaust one or KZ Manager until I checked the links. Sickening stuff... Back in the day you just didn't get games with those kinds of themes - it was unthinkable. Nobody believed they could get away with it - in Germany for instance when Street Fighter 2 first came out they said it might have "racist" undertones, but nobody really believed it. Now compare SF2 with games like those. I am worried about the way things are going, with such rapidity.

But the Muslim one: it seems the main controversy point is that it features a sub-game where you have to fight on the Palestinian side rather than the state of Israel. There are many games like that (games where you choose a side in a known conflict)- I think they're relatively innocuous even though I find them very distasteful I think it's not such a black-and-white situation as that with the neo-Nazis. This is because I think computer games might provide an outlet for hostile feelings in an existing situation in which there are entrenched positions and hostile intentions such as Israel/Palestine, whereas in the United States and most countries, a state of peace and interior security between the subject entities is entrenched and could only be undermined by allowing free expression to these ideas when they come in the form of interactive entertainment (I think interactive is a different beast from media, film, etc).
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon