View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #15
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

@The Fifth Horseman - Great suggestion! The animation capture might serve another purpose for me in the future. Besides a PrnScr, how would I get a capture without a 24 bit palette?

@Japo - I didn't know about Special Keys being able to be mapped to a single key. I'll definitely be looking into this.

DOSBox is relatively simple on the surface but really has a lot of depth once you start poking around. I am rather new to this whole thing, but I'm trying to learn as quick as I can.

My solution to capturing something that escapes because of a keypress is to play the game in less than fullscreen mode. When the image I want to capture is displayed, I grab the title bar of the display window and hold it with the mouse, press Ctrl+F5, release the mouse button and I have the capture I want.

It was a lucky guess. I have another example of a palette swap need. The game I am reviewing is really poor. I always try to play a game to completion before reviewing to be as fair as possible in my opinion. I cannot complete this one (you'll have to see the review for reasons).

I looked at the EXE in hex and determined there is no climactic end-scene reward animation. However, I was able to deduce what the End Game completion graphic was, and then swapped it out in the EXE for the Title screen.
This shows the end screen with the Title screen palette. Since I have an indexed 256 color palette used for the rest of the game, I just swapped it out to show the actual end game graphic. This would not be possible if either of the captures were done either with a non-indexed 8 bit palette or if either palette were 24 bit.

I thank you both, I appreciate the time you've taken to post and for the new ideas!
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid