View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

1. Realms of Arkania immediately comes in mind. And it's modern "continuation" in the same "Dark Eye" world - Drakensang is in the same league too. Last one have prequel, but I am not aware, if it's available in English. (There is also one full-scale adventure and cycle of five mobile games in series, but I don't know anything about them).

2. Going from past, there is also Dark Sun dilogy. First part is good, but second was very buggy for me - but I played it before rise of Internet in Russia, so I never tried it with patches.

3. Then there is The Dark Heart of Uukrul. Classic, turn based, pretty. But it had one strange bug for me when I played it in early 2000s (or maybe it was feature?) - food goes away very fast. So I wasn't able to enjoy this game at those pace at all - if you starving to death before fully exploring one level, it's too tense for me.

But I suspect that it's a bug because of game speed on modern computers, as no one ever mentioned this problem as far as I know. I never tried game under DOSBox to verify it.

4. You didn't mentioned Planescape: Torment. Same engine as Baldur's Gate 1. Best computer implementation of RPG for me that I know so far. It's quite simple by battles/spells - but non-battle choices are overwhelming and explicit. Very recommended.

5. Arcanum is another common title from Troika that you omissed. It's a steampunk/fantasy hybrid. Battles are quite simple, as you have too good weapons usually, but overall game is very good.

6. Geneforge and Avernum are quite good by itself. But there is one problem with it - they are all share the same engine, so it's always the deja vu when you are playing - as you are playing one game all this time. Geneforges are better, as it features good branching plot beside battles and exploring, so they are quite enjoyable. But Avernums are too generic and similar in my taste.

Be aware that Avernum series is pretty close remake of Exile series on modern... well, more modern engine. So Exile is quite obsolete in my taste. But it features somewhat different battle engine, so you can try that too.

Also, Spiderweb software implemented new generation of the same old engine in last year, so you can check also Avadon. But it features exactly the same mechanics and game principle, so (aside of setting), it still can be treated as continuation of Avernum series. Funny enough, they selling Avernum third time now too, on that new engine, so updated first Avernum available also for you. So you can check only it, and wait when all other 6 parts will arrived too.

7. Neverwinter Nights features isometric turn-based gameplay too. I personally not enjoyed first part at all - generic plot and too little of non-battles possibilities is not for me. But second part was praised by many, so I have it. Never tried it yet though.

8. Modern "tribute to Bard's Tale" that is Devil Whiskey quite good for me. It have phased turn-based battles, but in "classic", text-based manner - you are selecting orders for each party member then looking on results on screen. Just as old Bard's Tale and Wizardry series.

9. Wait, speaking about that, I totally omiss it! Wizardry series! If you are good with one-screen battles when all dynamic is in text choices, it is for you.

Hmm, I cannot remember anything else good. Well, Might and Magic series is somewhat in it, but it's same "Wizardry" approach that works only in first 5 parts. It's become not very funny in latest games, that aimed more for real-time battles. Superhero: League of Hoboken is the same as M&M in terms of battles too (game itself is very recommended by me though, but not because of battles .

Hmm, but check The Last Remnant if you are more in battles than in plot. Game have very generic plot and setting, but turn-based battle system is quite unique and enjoyable. I have very good feelings about it, and plan to re-play game somewhere in the future.

Now that's all.

P.S. Oh, wait, I forgot about "3rd person view" restriction. Well, strike out M&M, Devil's Whiskey and Wizardry then.

Last edited by Smiling Spectre; 05-10-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre