View Single Post
Old 15-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #8
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Ah. Now I see. We are treating word "broken" differently. I mean "it's unplayable or damaged", while you mean simply "not full".
I supplied the missing files from alleged v2.5 (note that the version number is only shown in FILE_ID.DIZ, which I cannot verify if it's by the original author or not), but this version 2.1 still did not work as intended. Some missions play but others don't and/or there's a corrupted cockpit PCX. So I'm not sure if this version can be treated as a working one. Honestly I can't be bothered to dig further into this particular release because there are two more updated versions. (It looks like originally the author, Charles B. Law, intended to release the game on the anniversary date of the Pearl Harbour attack; maybe some development was rushed to meet that deadline.)

Versions 1.5 and 3.0 apparently took advantage of the high-res SVGA/VESA mode, which requires hi-res PCX cockpit art. It also looks like the number of available missions was reduced because I was able to extract the SHELL.EXE and look at the mission list.

If you want to check out some of these FST sims, Ron Walker's freeware games are of very high quality and show a lot of effort put into them. And they're complete games with 10+ missions. FST sims work seamlessly in DOSBox and run well at 640x480 at relatively low CPU cycles (I usually cap protected mode games at 26800 cycles).

Here are some shots from Ron Walker's Jaguar GR1 sim:
https://imgur.com/a/COPqCCB

Quote:
Also, the list with working and non-working links interlacing was confusing somewhat, so your last post helped.
Initially I wanted to organise the list by type (full freeware vs. shareware vs. demo/WIP games) but it turned out better to group by authors since a lot of stuff came from the same people. Sadly, some pages were incompletely archived so inevitably we have some files missing while others are intact.

It's amazing to think how many sims were made with FST; and even stranger that these were not widely known, somehow. Apart from some German shovelware disks by ARI GmBH which included a few of Ray Purvis' shareware sims, and a mention of Ron Walker's Skyhawk Attack at GameHippo, I have not found any references to these games outside the FST community proper.

Quote:
I see that you made quite a work: I cannot find even traces of the games that you didn't scraped. So no work-free solutions it seems.
Thanks! I quite enjoy these forays into digital archaeology, but sometimes it's so frustrating when nice games or demos/shareware were not archived and apparently not preserved otherwise. I have a topic at VOGONS about such lost files (mostly not related to FST stuff), you might want to take a peek at those too.